Topic: Boat Height

Good day!

I was doodling a trailer for my Contessa and wondered about how tall the boat is from the highest point on deck (pulpit or cabin-top) to the bottom of the keel.  I ask because I wondered if it were possible to fit a Contessa inside a hi-cube shipping container:

Contessa / Container

Length:    26' (say 30+ for trailer and mast)   /  inside length 39' 5"
Beam:      7' 6" (hull)   /   7' 8" inside door and inside width
Height:     ???    /    8'6" inside door and 8' 10" inside container

It probably would not work in an enclosed container but there are examples of open-top 40' containers.  If one were building a trailer from scratch it might make sense to constrain the overall width to that of the boat so that the option to containerize the rig might be available.

Anyway, this is just a doodle.

If someone finds a sturdy and inexpensive trailer suitable for a Contessa let me know.

Thanks!

Christopher

Re: Boat Height

Not sure I can be of much service, Chris, but a really rudimentary round of measurements in photoshop of the lines drawings indicates the height is roughly 8'3". I'd take that with a heap of salt, though. Perhaps this fall when people haul out they'll be able to measure from the ground (minus cradle or block height, as applicable) and give us a real number.

What's the rationelle behind the question on height? Planning on shipping a Contessa somewhere?

Thanks Adrian!

As I said, I was doodling -- if the boat does fit in a standard container, then it would make sense for the trailer and everything else to fit too.  New trailers are too wide for containers unless custom built.  It might prove useful to myself or someone else someday.

As for a voyage -- wouldn't that be fun?

Christopher

p.s.  Nice website update!  Bravo!

Glad you like the update smile

I suspect I'd rather sail a Contessa wherever she needed to go, rather than ship her in a box. That said, it's not like I have a Contessa to ship right now!

Christopher

My boat is out for the season, sitting on a trailer. I'll bring a tape measure with me this weekend and take some measurements. If you like I can also grab some photos?
I do have a family re-union this weekend as well as a long list of things to do on the boat so if I don't get back to you feel free to remind me here via a post or pm.

John

6 (edited by john_co26 2012-08-12 15:22:11)

Christopher

I took some measurements today, keep in mind that my pulpit and pushpit(rear pulpit) have been removed. So my measurements are for the bare hull.

Bottom of keel to top of cabin entrance(the famous co 26 hump) 104 inches, 8.6 feet.
To get this measurement I measured from the;
genoa track to the ground = 97.5 inches
genoa track to top of "hump" 25.5 inches
Bottom of keel to ground 19 inches

97.5 + 25.5 - 19 = 104 inches.

Trailer measurements;
Overall width(wheel fender to wheel fender) 8 feet
Tongue, the bow of the boat is forward of the tonque by 1 foot(not including the pulpit)
Stern of boat(not including rudder) is further back of the back-end of trailer by 18 inches(not including the pushpit)
Basically the trailer is shorter front and rear than the boat  but it is wider than the beam of the boat.

John

Wow, my photoshop guestimation wasn't too bad! Only 3 inches off!

Thanks to you both!