Topic: Bukh engine

Hello all!

I would be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has a 10 horse Bukh diesel. I bought my boat # 331 last fall and the engine has been running well.

Where can parts be bought? The owners manual is so sparing with words as to be unintelligible, at least to me. One of the curious things I discovered is that if it doesn't start I move the flywheel a bit and lift up a little hinged lever on top of the engine and then the thing starts right up.

I have not been able to get it to start manually with the lawn-mower style pull cord! It's amazing how little fuel it uses.

I don't know if this is the original engine or not--a hours meter in the cabin shows 180 hours or so--which doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

So if anyone knows about these engines, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Peter

Re: Bukh engine

One specific question I have is about the location of the pencil zinc and where a replacement might be bought. Can something like a "Martyr zinc pencil without plug" from Jamestown Distributor be used? or does it have to be attached to plug.

Peter

I have an 8 horse Bukh in my '86 Contessa.  Halton Marine did an excellent job of fixing some compression issues and they got the parts from Crinmar in Kingston, Ont.  She runs like a charm and yes, it's amazing how little fuel is used.
Kevin.