Topic: Forward Hatch Seal

Hello Fellow Contessa Fans,

Does anyone have a solution to sealing the forward hatch?  The raised flange and the hatch door on my boat are still in pretty good shape and would not necessarily have to be replaced with some modern Lewmar hatch with all of the associated work required to create a level mating surface, etc............IF.............I knew of a special seal that would work well and could be glued in position.  It would have to do an excellent job of sealing out the water as a wet for peak would be a major drag.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel my way though this complete re-fit.  Thanks,  Brian

Post's attachments

for hatch 2.JPG
for hatch 2.JPG 71.55 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-09-07 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Forward Hatch Seal

I have the same question for the two Vetus hatches that open at the front of the main cabin. They have a special seal that I'm sure is unobtainable. I tried smearing the seal with vaseline as a stop gap measure and it helps a little. I may also try a butyl seal that you can buy by the foot but I haven't found any thin enough so far.
thanks

3 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-09-08 08:03:05)

Try classic car restoration suppliers. 

There is a hollow profiled closed cell foam rubber lip seal that is ideal for the original JR 'dustbin lid' hatches. Simply clip it over the upstanding deck moulding edge with a smear of black Sikaflex to glue it in place and butt the very carefully cut ends together, also with a smear of Sikaflex.  Put a piece of waxed paper over the joint then put the lid in place with a light weight on it to align the ends, but dont clip it down till the sikaflex is set.   

Its better to put the seal inside the lid where it is protected but the old JR dustbin lids have such a narrow edge on the deck moulding that it chews up the seal if you try that.

It doesn't leak a drop even if I am taking it green back to the mast, but in rough weather you need to tape or tie the hach clips so they cant spring open when a heavy wave lands on the hatch and compresses the seal slightly more.

I'm sure you could find something self adhesive and similar to go round the inside surface of your lid right at the edge, mitering the corners carefully with an exacto knife and prepping the surface carefully by sanding followed by a skim coat of impact adhesive to get maximum adhesion.  Don't forget the waxed paper when closing the lid on the freshly glued corners.

Ian,

I appreciate your suggestions.  Thank you.  Its comforting to hear that you have done this and that your hatch doesn't leak.  I would like to know what supplier you got your seal from just in case I have a hard time locating the same seal in mid-America?  thanks,  Brian

You would'nt want the same profile.  The original JR boats dont have a lip on the edge of the hatch opening, just an upturn from the deck moulding with a plain edge.  The profile I am using fits onto a car door interior panel edge to form a seal against the opening and has a U section spring moulded into it to hold it onto the panel edge. This has to be stretched over the edge of the GRP and guled in place.  As yours has a lip, you want a profile with a flat self-adhesive base.  Probably a high quality (i.e. automotive) version of the typical P shaped domestic door/window sealing profile would do nicely.  Look for one made of black neoprene if possible. All the vinyl foams etc. are basically junk.   

N.B. don't let the foam snag on anything as it tears fairly easily. small tears can be repaired with rubber adhesive but large rips mean you need to re-do the whole thing.  It is far better if you can put the foam on the underside of the hatch lid where it is protected rather than round the opening as I had to.