Topic: Bilge Blower Safety

The boat I have did not have a bilge blower.  It had long since been removed by the previous owner and he seems to have done just fine without one.  My boat has a Universal Atomic 5411 2 cylinder 11 HP diesel engine. 

I'm trying to figure out if a bilge blower is really necessary for a diesel engine.  My engine owners manual for the 5411 speaks of clearing the bilge before starting the engine.  I think its interesting though, that the engine owners manual for the Yanmar 1GM10 engine has no mention of the need to use a bilge blower before engine start.

I would appreciate some opinions and advice on this matter greatly.

Thanks for reading,

Brian

Re: Bilge Blower Safety

I never had one for my diesel powered boat, but my Dad had one on his OMD saildrive equipped Hughes 31.

I don't think diesels need a blower, but I am happy to be corrected.

Re: Bilge Blower Safety

Remember that to do any good, a bilge blower must be explosion proof and ALL ITS CONNECTIONS,  SWITCHES AND FUSES must be explosion proof all the way back to the battery.

Diesel that is not vaporised or finely atomised does NOT explode, but if you have a gas installation for cooking, or store outboard fuel in a cockpit locker, you may want a bilge blower anyway.   However even a small diesel engine like a 1GM10 moves a lot more air when running than a 4" blower can.

In the end it all comes down to national and local regulations and whatever your insurance company demands, but I wouldn't go out of my way to fit one . . . .