Topic: Mounting Spreader Lights

I want to mount some LED lights on the spreaders.  I'm concerned about the potential chaffing issues on the main sail when I'm running downwind, though.  Does any one have any advice about mounting my spreader lights in a way that would minimize chafe issues.  For example, I'm wondering if it might be better to mount the lights on a very short rod extending forward on each spreader so that the aft edge of the light is further forward and approximately in-line with the aft edge of the spreader.

Re: Mounting Spreader Lights

A forward rod might cause issues with a genoa. I think you'll find that any light that isn't significantly wider than the spreader bar shouldn't cause any additional chaffing of the main when running.

3 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-11-13 07:32:16)

Get narrower lights!   You'll probably want a sacrificial patch on both sides of the mainsail as well. 

Also, I'd be fairly reluctant to weaken my spreaders by drilling lots of mounting holes in them mid span.

I was concerned about the structural issue on the spreader too.  I was planning on machining down an aluminum cylinder to just the right diameter and then gently tapping it into position in the middle of the spreader so that I could through bolt the light securely to the spreader without deforming and weakening the spreader bar.  Good idea?