Topic: How many Anodes?

My boat has one hull anode thats 3 3/8" long (see photo).  This boat has spent most of its life in fresh water on Lake Huron and now I'm getting it ready for salt water worldwide.  I'm not sure how many Anodes I need or how big they should be but I'm guessing that this one anode I have on here now, isn't enough protection from the ills of electrolysis.  I would greatly appreciate some guidance on this issue.  Thanks.

Re: How many Anodes?

Here's the photo

Post's attachments

one zink.JPG
one zink.JPG 80.14 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

3 (edited by bertinol 2012-11-15 15:24:00)

quick tip that a lot of people don't know...
use a magnesium anode for fresh water and zinc for the sea.

As for size, try one and see how long it lasts. You can don a swimsuit and add another. I hear of anodes lasting a month or a year depending on the local chemistry.

To what is your zinc attached?  Engine?

Thanks!  Christopher

If you are not on passage, use a hanging anode at the transom.  If it starts wasting quickly there is an electrical problem nearby and you should move the boat and check your hull anode.  I have got six seasons (salt water estuary and UK coastal) so far out of a large pear shaped zinc hull anode, cleaning it up each time the boat is hauled.    When it gets down to about 50% I'll replace it.

If you have a Yanmar, do not forget to check the anode inside the engine.

Christopher, In answer to your question, the one hull anode I have is through bolted and a big wire runs from the bolt to a big copper grounding plate that the engine ground is also connected to (looks like to me that it is connected to the entire electrical ground system of the boat, battery included).  When I was trying to remove it today, I broke it but I think that this is just as well as it was pretty severely eroded and the bolts also seemed to be bedded rather well in compound and their electrical connection to the anode itself looked pretty iffy to me. 

I take it that this is so the anode will be electrically connected with the prop through the engine, transmission and prop shaft and therefore wear away instead of the prop?

And how do you seal the bolts of the anode without losing the electrical connection? 

Ian, Where do you electrically connect your hanging anode when not underway?  to the battery negative?

It looks like my anode is the small pear shaped one in the WM catalog.   And my engine (the Univ 5411) doesn't have an anode.  It was before engine design got that clever.

8 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2012-11-17 08:13:12)