Topic: Securing Batteries Revisited

Hello Everyone!

I think I've decided to go with 2 AGM batteries for the house bank and 1 AGM battery for the starter battery (sealed -- no possibility of acid leaks or hydrogen gas or other noxious fumes etc. and are advertised to do a good job starting and as deep cycle batteries.  They also have very little internal resistance and can be recharged quickly with a large alternator).  Then, I simply place them in a plastic hold-down trays that are attached to the floor of the bilge like the tray I've included a photo of in this post.  The trays look rigid and they are cheap and would be easy to install with a couple of fasteners (small lag bolts, I guess).  Before I go ahead with this plan, I only have one reservation.

I'm concerned about drilling holes in the floor of the bilge for the battery tray fasteners.  Does anyone know of any reason why I wouldn't want to drill holes in the floor of the bilge?  I'm concerned that this might provide a pathway for corrosion to the iron keel material, etc.

Thanks,

Brian

Post's attachments

battery tray (2).jpg
battery tray (2).jpg 68.66 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-12-02 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Securing Batteries Revisited

Brian,

When i redid my Co i faced the same problem for the batteries. I choose to make my tray and fix it on the bilge floor  with somes pieces of hard woods and 3m 5200 and then i  screw the tray on the wood and i put fiberglass each sides of the tray and the hull.
I'm not an expert but i would'nt touch anything that could comprise the integrity of the iron keel i would not be so chicken if the keel has been  made with lead.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

Perhaps the iron keel doesn't begin until deep down below the floor of the bilge and a few holes drilled only an inch and a half deep would only be into solid GRP and nowhere near the iron keel.  If this were true......than wouldn't a few shallow holes cause virtually no risk to providing a pathway to the corrosion of the keel material?  Does anyone know about this?

No holes. They'll just collect water and weaken the boat.

Just buy a plastic box that fits or fabricate a wooden box or a rack and fibreglass it in place. Use straps from Cdn Tire to tie the battery down.

I am not sure if this is the right spot to bring this up. But here we go.
I was looking for prices on a dodger for my contessa, and they don't come cheap.
I was wondering if a number of contessa owner were willing to get together and have a mould made for a hard dodger. After the original cost of getting a mould, it would be cheaper to have a hard dodger, and the installation would be easy. One person could mount one in an hour or less, all you would have to do is drill holes for mounting bolts, seal then, and you are done. I would venture a guess they could be made for less than $500. Any bright ideas???