Topic: Wiring an Engine Hour Meter

The installation instructions for the Engine Hour Meter I just purchased, show that you can hook the ground of the meter to an engine oil pressure switch on the engine so that the meter only runs when the engine is running.  Makes sense.  But, as you can see from the instructions in the photo I have attached, they don't show any other wires coming off of the oil pressure switch.  Their diagram makes the engine oil pressure switch appear to be dedicated solely for the engine hour meter.  My question is this.  Can you simply just connect this ground wire from the hour meter to the oil pressure switch that already has a wire coming off of it and going to the engine oil pressure dummy light.  Thanks much.  Brian

Post's attachments

Engine Hour Meter.JPG
Engine Hour Meter.JPG 150.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Wiring an Engine Hour Meter

Problem solved........Tech support just got back with me.  Here is what they said.

Hello Brian

The wiring with the pressure switch is a option, the negative terminal is connected to ground OR a normally open oil pressure switch.

You may connect the hour meter negative terminal to the same engine pressure switch if it functions as described in the instructions. If the pressure switch used on the dummy light is normally open (no electrical signal), and closes when the engine is running, than this pressure switch can be used with the hour meter. The purpose is to have the engine hours count when the engine is running not when just power is provided.

Thank you,

Marcin Maleszka

Technical Support Representative

Veethree Electronics & Marine LLC

I hope this helps anyone else with the same question.      B