Topic: Toronto Outboard motor service

I have a Mariner 5PH 2-stroke outboard that needs some servicing before I motor the Rideau canal with my Kittiwake, and am looking for someone local who can do some routine maintenance to the engine. It runs (I had it fired up this morning), but I'd like a tune-up before motoring for 40 or 50 hours.

Anyone have any sources?

Re: Toronto Outboard motor service

I've had good luck with Klaus Marine on the QEW out near Kipling.
Some people swear by Central  Outboard Marine up at Woodbine and Hwy 7, but they broke my choke knob and forgot to tell me about it...

Or just replace the gearbox oil, impeller and spark plugs, clean out any zebra mussels and you're all set.
cheers, Oliver

I just sold a Mariner 5HP 2-stroke this winter...  Good engine... for my dinghy!   It's strong enough for your sailboat??  Wow.

I was in a pickle of the departure-time-crunch variety and had it serviced by Mark Bird (who I  know via National Y.C.).  He does good work but is not cheap.  You must also keep on top of things if you have a deadline.

Absolutely it was strong enough. Drove the boat at 5.5 knots (hull speed) for the last two weeks from Ottawa to Toronto. Admittedly in really high winds it struggled a bit, but for general use, the 5hp was perfect for my 4000lb boat.

BTW, highly recommend Klaus Marine. They were excellent.