Topic: sliding companionway hatch

Re: sliding companionway hatch

That's a serious improvement, in my opinion. Though as you say, I wonder about structure. I am sure it could have been drone in a strong way.

The companionway on my kittiwake ( coupled with the bridge deck) makes her look much bigger inside.

a

3 (edited by Dave Aultfather 2013-06-28 06:12:17)

Re: sliding companionway hatch

Another opinion:

A sliding hatch will let in more light and it will provide easier access at the dock or in calm water.  However, it can also let in more rain and seawater during storms.

Sliding hatches that are designed without a protective turtle can be damaged and even lost when hit hard by solid water.  For that reason I believe the keyhole is far safer than a sliding hatch, at least one without a turtle.

Regarding access, I am 6'6" tall and I can go in and out through the keyhole on my C 26 as quickly and easily as I could slide the hatch forward, climb out, and slide the hatch back on the Catalina I sailed for 10 years before getting my Contessa 13 years ago.

I will agree that for calm water sailing and sitting at the dock a sliding hatch has its advantages because when left open and forward it is easier to go below and there is better ventilation.  However, for sailing I prefer the safety and security of the keyhole design.

Some of the Contessa clones have sliding hatches so that must be what some buyers want but there are good reasons why some of the best bluewater boats have a keyhole companionway design.

That said, the modified Contessa looks nice and there is no reason why it should not be as good as any other sliding hatch design.

Also, at $3,200 unless there are some major problems with the boat it is a great bargain, almost free.

JJT Contessa 26 #320