Topic: Back stay

Looking for a split backstay for contessa 26

Re: Back stay

A rigger will make one for you.  You just need the dimensions for each of the three legs.

That is the problem, I don't have the dimensions

aarsballe

I had my fore and back stay replaced this spring. I have the old ones and can measure for you. The concern is that you will need a plate to join the split back stay with the back stay. I'll take a look this weekend and post some numbers and a link to some pics if it helps.

John

Thanks John

aarsballe

Some measurements for you.
1) The two lower cables that make up the split back stay =  187.7 cms each. That is the from center to center of clevis pin hole at each end.
2) Upper back stay 873.5 cm, from center of the cleves pin hole at the top of the cable to the bottom of the threaded stud.
3) Turnbuckle 8.9 cm.
4) Threaded fork 6.6 cm  from center of the clevis pin hole to top of threaded stud.
4) Triangle plate that connects the 3 cables
    two upper sides = 2.9 cm
    one  bottom side = 2.5 cm
    measurements from center of clevis pin to center of clevis pin.

I have tried to be as accurate in my measurements as I could. Measuring the upper back stay accurately was the tough part given it's length but I am confident that I have it right.

With that said, what parts of the back stay are you missing?
The whole assembly?
Just the two cables that make up the split?

John

Hi John, I really appreciate all your effort on my behalf.
What I do need is the dimension of the two lower cables. Having said that, provided my backstay is the same as yours, I am in business. I will have to measure that to be sure. Anyway, from the numbers you gave me, I will be able to calculate my two lower cables, should there be a variance.
Thanks again John, you solved my problem.

aarsballe

No problem, happyto help out.

John

John, just one more question, I noticed on the rigging of another Contessa, that there were 2 different sized turnbuckles, one size for all stays except the 4 lower stays. 5" and 4" barrels, is this normal?
Pete

Pete

I can't give you a definitive answer to your question, my boat has two types of turn buckles on the lower shrouds. I can tell you that the lower shrouds are smaller in dia than the upper shrouds/fore and back stays. Interestingly, on my old rigging(that has been replaced) The turnbuckle that fits my upper back stay is the same size as the turnbuckle that fits my lower shroud. Both in turnbuckle length and the dia of the threaded hole that is turned into the threaded swaged stud. What I am trying to say is that the turnbuckle is inter-changeable on both my lower shrouds and all other standing rigging.

If it helps I can get you some sizes later in the week. Wire dia, turn buckle lengths etc.

John

11 (edited by aarsballe 2013-09-14 07:05:46)

Hi John. Thanks again. I wonder if there is a difference in sizes from boat to boat, perhaps depending on the year of manufacture? Not sure of the age of mine, definately am early 1970, I would guess
By the way, the thread on both lower and upper stays is the same (5/16 - 24) only difference seems to be in length of turnbuckle.

Forgot something. It is actually the length of the 2 pieces of cable from the turnbuckle at the end of the standing back stay to the 2 fittings on the deck I need. I assume it is something like 6 or 7 feet?

John,

Been reading this tread and didn't see numbers or link posted by you, but that part of the tread was from a few years back.  I'll be replacing the backstay on Virago this winter and was directed to Klacko spars in Oakville as the original rigger for Cinkel spars, and the place most other riggers send their stuff to anyway.  Is that what you found, or did you do your own??  I did call them for a ballpark quote and instructions on how to get it to them, but before I do that I'd like to hear your two cents worth.

Deb