Topic: Seizing the Spreader Ends

Hello Everyone,

As I near the end of my "rigging education," there is this other issue.

In the following reference materials:

1. Toss's Rigger's Apprentice book
2. Adlard Coles' Heavy Weather Sailing
3. Cruising World magazine article (from 20 years ago)

They have mentioned the importance of "seizing the upper shrouds to the spreader tips."
However, none of these sources gave any details at all about how one might perform this task.

When I bought my boat, I saw no evidence that this had ever been done.  In fact, the rig was standing at the time of purchase and the upper shrouds were free to slip about at the spreader tips. 

It does seem like "seizing the spreader tips" might increase the strength of the rig, however, I do wonder whether it would break the spreader if the shroud parted? 

Perhaps this is just something that all the books say to do, but in practice, no one really does it?

I'm wonder what all you veteran Contessa sailors have been doing in regards to this issue and what your opinions are?

Thanks again,

I cannot say how helpful this forum has been in getting the advice I need to finish my refit!!!

Brian

Re: Seizing the Spreader Ends

CO26 tubular spreaders are a lot stiffer vertically than flat spreaders.  Mine certainly aren't seized and there is no evidence that they have ever been seized.

Also there is a lot of difference between good practice  with galvanized wire + wooden spreaders, and stainless wire + aluminium spreaders.

A simple seizing on stainless wire could create exactly the conditions required to cause crevice corrosion - a void full of concentrated brine with no free oxygen.   I've seen a crevice the size of a grain of cooked rice develop in a stainless steel pump shaft under a lip seal where it sat for the winter excluding oxygen from the metal surface.  A similar problem with a shroud would have eaten away three or four strands.

Ian,

Thanks much for your input.  The corrosion issues of seizing are an excellent (and scary) point.

4 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2014-03-14 16:37:09)

5 (edited by stefan_d 2014-03-16 16:28:32)

Are your spreaders the earlier cinkel (essentially alum pipe) with cast ends that slip in? 

i'd be less worried about whats going on at shroud/spreader, more imporant to make sure that the spreader bases are up to snuff - as in secure to the mast, and while unloaded hold the spreader upward at some angle (so when you are looking from foreward or aft, the spreaders have some dihedral, like a set of wings)

once you see a spreader below horizontal, it's pretty much just there for decoration, look around its easier to spot spreaders that arent doing anything at all.

i have reworked the original spreader bases, and when rigging the mast every spring i install spreader boot over the spreader and shrouds, tie-wrap in place (while keeping the shroud under decent tension), and rigging tape over the whole thing.  this holds things together nicely, albeit is not a solution for a long term cruiser - as i drop the mast and derig in the fall...

As Stefan says, you must install the spreader boot and rigging tape so you don't abrade the genoa when close-hauled. I don't know why you want to seize the rigging to the spreader. I've never seen anybody do it because it just adds stress to the spreader.

This is some great input..........Very much appreciated!!  And thanks.

I'm just getting all this seizing spreader stuff from all the books I'm reading but clearly not the thing to do on this boat in the "real world."

This is clear to me now.  I do have some spreader boots that I will put on before launch in St. Louis and I also have the aluminum tubing spreaders with stainless steel mounting bases on the mast that hold the spreaders up at an angle (all of this looks seaworthy and strong).

B

You're in St Louis?  How are you going to get the boat down to the ocean?
I met a guy in Key West who went down the Mississippi with a Macgregor 26. He had a centreboard but, even so, he said he went aground many times on the shoals.
So good luck!

Hi Oliver,

The same way I went down the Mississippi River last time (topic of my 1st book).
You have to stay in the channel if you have a draft (like the barges).

Cheers,

B

ps -- when I'm going back to St. Louis......I'll be taking the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Great Lakes, Illinois River, Mississippi River route........which means..........I'll be headed right by Toronto.  I'm planning on swing in to T-town and seeing if I can hunt down the Contessa crowd......so I can say hello!  smile

It's a lovely trip up the Hudson River and Erie Canal.

Come on by. We'll be waiting for you!