Topic: Canadian Boat Ownership Transfer Questions

1)Is a "License" the only doucment that exists that shows ownership of a Canadian Vessel by a Canadian?

2)Do liens show up on a "License"?

3)How does one determine "Clear Title" for a Canadian Pleasure Craft?

Thanks, and thanks for the reply to the previous "Hull Number" question.

Richard Bunn

Re: Canadian Boat Ownership Transfer Questions

Richard,

Taken off of Gov't Canada web site, re: boat licence"The Pleasure Craft Licence is free of charge and transferable to any subsequent owner of the vessel. The licence must be carried on board the vessel at all times.  However, a licence is not a Title Document. Operators must therefore also carry other documents (such as a document that establishes ownership or registration) in order to help avoid/reduce delays clearing US-Canada customs or in case of a fine.

Not a title document, therefore would not reveal any liens.

No. 3 on your question, appears to be unclear for "used" boats.

Just wondering what kind of documentation others in canada have on their boats.

In B.C.,no documentation is required because they are usually under 10 H.P.I aquired a K number(B.C. registration)So I had a peice of paper to show when I go over the border plus I believe this creates a paper trail as far as leins and ownership go.

You can check for liens a couple of ways: get an insurance agent to do so for you, for example, or someone who has an account at "BC Online".  (lawyers, notaries, people in real estate industry, etc.)
A boat in a person's name is registered in the Persoanl Property Registry (like a car, trailer, etc. anything with a serial number or registration # of any kind)  You put in the registration number, whatever it may be. 
Then, two or three numbers similar to it will show up, and the number you are checking will ONLY show up if there is a lien on it.  Then it will show who has the lien, the owners name, etc. 
Believe me, it's worth the $25 or so to get someone to do it (it costs less than that to do online, but most places add on a little fee, understandably.)
Good luck.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”