Topic: Strange tubing

These stainless tubes came with my boat and I'm wondering what they are. I suspect they are pieces from a wind vane it had before I purchased it.

Do they look familiar to anyone?

Thanks much,

David

Post's attachments

strange tubes 1.jpg
strange tubes 1.jpg 246.41 kb, 5 downloads since 2014-10-08 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Strange tubing

No they don't look like anything on my boat. Judging from the appearance of the bends, I'd say they're homemade and probably part of some unfinished project by the previous owner. I topic I know much about I might add.
John

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

David,

Those tubes look almost identical to the tubes that came with my monitor windvane.  They are the main support brackets that bolt on one end of the aft deck and have the monitor bolted to the other end.
what diameter are they?
I'm not home now........but I'll post a photo of the mounting instructions with a day or two for you that has these tubes illustrated on it.

4 (edited by mokshaSF 2014-10-09 09:15:58)

Thanks much for your replies - and so quick!

I tend to agree with Bnold5000 that these tubes are part of the Monitor Windvane setup that it turns out Moksha used to have. (She used to have a lot of things that have been stripped off during the years before I met her!).

The diameter of the tubes is 1 7/8".

So according to Monitor windvane pix I've seen, the tubes would be most likely the upper mounting tubes, the main supports.

Here's a pic from another San Francisco Contessa (Tess #98) that confirms that.

It seems the configuration of the upper (main) mounting tubes would have be adapted to various configurations so it would make sense that they'd be left behind since the windvane was most likely sold to someone with a different model boat.

Mystery solved! Thanks again.

David

Post's attachments

monitor5.jpg
monitor5.jpg 102 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Monitor Mounting Instructions for Contessa 26

Post's attachments

Monitor Installation.JPG
Monitor Installation.JPG 189.29 kb, 1 downloads since 2014-10-10 

Thanks for posting the diagram. That cinches the deal and I will be holding on to these tubes. They are one of the few "custom" parts in the Monitor set-up and to have them made can be as much as $4/ft and $30/bend. Yikes!