Topic: Main halyard length

Please, those of you experienced sailors...I am being counseled to change the size of the main halyard as it too thick to pass through the lockdown cleats.  How long and what kind of line should I buy?  Is 3/8 ok?  Does anyone know where to get a stopper for the mast groove , to stop the sail when lowering?  Sorry for foggy terminolgy, still a baby...

Re: Main halyard length

My main  halyard is 3/8" dia and 74ft long. It leads back to the cockpit. Should be a low stretch line, but does not need to be a high tech  - high cost racing zero stretch line.

Dacron(a pollyester) as opposed to nylon,good for dock lines.

Hi Kristin!
It's called a sail slide stopper; apparently you can buy for cheap ($8 or so) and it screws into the sail slide track and prevents the sail from sliding out of its groove.

Halyard: if you have an old one, take it in to measure, and just buy the proper one: for halyards, as Seeadler says, is low stretch.  Mine is 3/8, no problem fitting in jam cleats...it will seem like line is too big sometimes, but if you pull on line as you close lever, it will be much easier than if you don't...1/4 is too small of line, in my humble opinion! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

ours is 1/2 inch....can't fit through!!!  Also, what is length of jib halyard? Mine is also 1/2 and need to replace to get through jam cleats.  Thanks for feedback on stopper.  Shannon, and all alcohol burners: do you really love your Origo?  No seasickness from fumes? I'm on the verge of installing, and just heard bad reviews from old salt...
Thanks alot, Kristin

I replaced the ankle biting jam cleats with newer, rounder ones, which also handled the 1/2-inch line. I think 3/8 or 7/16 line should be fine for halyards (I think?).

Keep in mind that 1/2-inch line will swell, and be bigger than 1/2-inch.

Yes, I love my Origo stove, no sea sickness from its smell, so far!   Some people don't like its smell, I am fine with most "fuel" kind of smells, yes, I love the smell of diesel, crazy, hey?!

After yapping about my halyards being 3/8",  I think my halyards are 7/16...as 3/8 is definitely skinnier than my halyards....now I have to measure! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Well I have to say Kristin that I think the Origo is a great stove,just make sure it is off when you are finished .Fumes are a sign that the canister needs to be refilled,and only last a moment.I consider them a handy reminder.Watch out for old salts,they may have hardened (brain)artheries,from to much salt and not enough sailing.Cheers,Bill(ge)

Any info on the length of the jib halyards?  Thanks for the other info, too. You all have been so helpful!

10 (edited by eebygumcaptain 2006-05-27 08:06:45)

Just replaced my wire main halyard with 23m of 10mm prestreched braid on braid, which is a good length although I don't need it to go right back to the cockpit.

This was the last length on the spool but the guy wasn't  amused when I asked for a discount as it was a spool end :-)

Cheers
Andrew

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Thanks, Andrew- got is covered and it works great!  K