1 (edited by Vince P 2017-11-20 14:25:34)

Topic: Pictures of Water Tank(s)?

Hoping that people still read this forum....
My 1976 CO26 came with the water tank removed, but based on the existing plumbing, it appears that it was directly under the sink on the port side.  Has anyone found a source for a hard sided tank?  I'd prefer hard plastic over flexible.  Pictures of your set up would be great.
Also, for those who have tanks on both sides; how are they connected to each other?

Re: Pictures of Water Tank(s)?

3 (edited by Vince P 2017-11-22 04:56:03)

Thanks Christopher… for a very detailed reply.  This site has always been such great source of information and it’s great to see that there are still some site veterans around.
I have been to that Ronco site in the past without luck.  Trying to find the right size that will slip in as well as having the shape to match the hull has proven difficult.
I have also considered a tank in the bilge, with similar routing that you described, but in the end, it didn’t seem that I could get much volume.  What size flexible tank did you use?
Also, great idea with the water heater.  I once did something similar on a VW campervan using the engine as a heat source, but that was a closed water cooled system that used coolant to pass through a coil in the tank.  The water was a bit too hot!

5 (edited by Vince P 2017-11-22 18:28:25)

That area under the sole in my boat curves down to only about 8 inches wide and maybe 9 or 10 inches high. Is that the same size as yours, or is it much bigger than that? My batteries are also in there, but closer to the center.

This won't apply to you, but for others' reference, my 1983 JJ Taylor 26  as a fibreglass tank under the v-berth; Primarily on the starboard side, it goes up and across to port.  It is awkward, difficult to clean, and a poor placement for heavy tankage.  I'd love to cut it out and replace it with something, but it is a complex shape and I suspect cutting under the v-berth would lose some lateral strength...

I have not replaced it and we normally keep it dry unless doing a very long trip.

Thanks Jordan.  I’ve decided to build an integral tank under the port side quarter berth.  How big it will be remains the question. Right now I’m thinking about maximum of 35 gal / 130 liters and if necessary, carry more in 5 gal portable containers.
I’m in the middle of a major refit and will probably not get to that part until later this year.