Topic: Cape Horn

Yeah... This is pretty stupid, but here it goes...

What does anyone here think about a Contessa 26 doing a trip from the East Coast of the US, through the Carribean, through the Panama Canal, out around Easter Island, then back up to where it was started.

How does that sound? Is it possible? Is the Contessa the best boat for the job? If not, what is?

Re: Cape Horn

Such a trip is certainly within the capabilities of a Contessa 26. It's a long trip though, and you have to consider that when you think of spending that much time on such a small (but pretty) boat.

I'd do it, and just might........soon......

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

The Contessa 26 is fine on that trip.  I think the key ingredient here is  with who and how many she will be carrying.
One or two adults MAX!  Hell, BIKA is circumnavigating out of Norway right now (a couple, and he's 6'7" and they have a feline onboard (where in God's name do they put that litter box???)

The previous owner of Untold Want bought the boat in Midland, took her to New York, across to Bermuda, back down thru the Caribbean, thru the Panama Canal, across to Hawaii (guess how long that took....) and then back up to the West Coast (Canada).  The boat was trucked back to Ontario, where I bought her.    Still working away, don't think she'll be in the water this year.  Can't justify the cost of putting her in the water for only 4 weeks.  Might as well do everything right  and set an early launch next spring........  Cheers all

Good luck Stefan - you've done an amazing job so far!  She's going to be one clean and solid boat! 
And yes, in Bika, he's 6'7", and she's 5'10"!  And I bet the litter box is where the engine would be?! (they removed the inboard...)
I'd go solo on a Contessa, that's for sure! ;-)  And I'm only 5'5"!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”