Topic: Pintle & Gudgeons

Has anyone done any work on the Pintle & Gudgeons… I have a lot of play on mine and would like some advice on what to do… it's obvious that the Pintle is a one piece molded in the tiller and glassed over… any ideas… any suggestions… would be greatly appreciated…

Thanks
José

Re: Pintle & Gudgeons

Jose
My  1986 co26#335 has the same problem. I bought the boat two years ago and haven't put it in the water yet. Summer 2007 is the anticipted splashdown date. I was told by another co26 owner in Beverly, MA, who had the same problem, to take it to a propeller shop for machinig. I have removed all the hardware and plan on taking in to Haskell& Hall propellers shop in Salem, MA during the coming year for repairs. They will either press in a bronze or delrin bushing.??
There must be a lot of co26 owners that have or have had this problem. Don't be shy, let us know how you dealt whith your P&G's.... Bob

rbporter

Well I got it fixed... had noticed that whoever in their wisdom had installed 5/8 bronze bolts instead if a 5/8 bronze pin with a threaded ends on it for the locking nut... by installing the new bronze pins in the original holes... the play is all gone...

It seems the threads on the bolts... wore a groove in the gudgeon and when the two threaded pieces came together it created a whole lot of play...

Hope this helps

José

ps. I don't have your Contessa on our List... could you e-mail me directly and I would love to send you an Excel list of all the Contessa's we have on it up to date... Thanks
José

I had the same thing on #322 I believe Jose. Bronze bolts instead of proper bronze pins.

I too had the bolts, and like a dope, I got new bolts, (not pins, which would make sense) my play is gone, for now! ;-)  So, I learned something, again....and will see what happens...if/when I need to do new ones...however, drilling through bronze to put the cotter pin to lock the nut one was a cinch...or did I mess up there too?! ;-)  I copied what was there before, and it had seemed ok for 22 years, so I figured the same thing would work again.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Ok, the new owner of my old boat has completely replaced pintles and gudgeons, and they look fantastic (I saw a picture...yes, I've met the new owner)   He has replaced the pin "bolts" with nice, non-threaded pins, and he is (or already has...he was having it made) replacing that weird pintle/gudgeon frankenstein JJ Taylor added on the bottom when they decided "better add another one"....
The surveyor said the rudder had alot of play, which...I did not think it did, and i am picky, but perhaps it did, as I sailed her almost every day, and of course would not notice minute bits of play as the months wore on...and I did replace those bolts in 2005...a year is a long time.  If any of you want to see the new pintle/gudgeon, let me know and I'll tell new owner to send pics...perhaps he has already joined the board...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Yesiree, there is one nice set of pintles and gudgeons on that boat now!  .....oh, heavens, listen to me, quick, someone hide me so they don't lock me up!  :-b

I am waiting for the name of the fellow who did the machining, I know there will be a lineup....he did an amazing job with that third abomination they called "the third pintle gudgeon" but was really just a threaded bolt jammed in upside down into some extra goop of fibreglass?!

Anyways, whomever wants pics, I have them....(it's like a child I've given up for adoption, I am still right in there...)

I'd like to see some pictures of the bottom of the rudder with this new fangled contraption.  I'll be eventually adding something and this might send me in the right direction.  Or I could produce em and sell em.............

Hello:

I am the new owner of Shannon's old boat, now renamed One Across.  I have just put her back in the water after having had a little bit of work done on her.  Although I am definitely a newbie, if you'd like information about the pintle and gudgeon set up please contact me directly and I'd be more than happy to share the work that was done.

Very nice boat Jonathan!

Shannon, can you send me the picture please, or somebody else.
Thanks
fox@prolonix.com

What is the best way for changing that additional pintle? At this moment we will be replacing the bolt with proper silicone bronze pin and re-doing the bushing but what about the third what is your experience in rejuvenating that pintl?