1 (edited by seeadler 2006-06-07 13:03:33)

Topic: Engine hatch quick release

Re: Engine hatch quick release

Adrian,
I accidently uploaded a 889K pic into the Maintenance and Tech section of the gallery.
The name is - Engine hatch quick release - holddown bolt
It can be deleted to save space, I replaced  it with a 19K pic.

Yeah,that looks a lot more straight forward,like you might be tempted to look in more than once a decade.In the same vein I still can't get the air filter off,but there must be something I am not seeing.(On the faryman)

Good idea, (again!) handy Seeadler!  Also would strengthen the cockpit a bit...do the three centre bolts pull the hatch cover down tight enough to seal the outer edges?  That is my main concern...watertighedness/watertightness...(is that a word) 

I assume you put some sort of gasketing on hatch underneath? 

And do I understand the beams passively fit into the two "L" brackets beforehand, no gymnastics required in trying to time and coordinate one side in with the other?! ;-D
(And prevents one from standing on the engine or alternator...comeon, you know you do! ;-)

And...those beams can then be used to lean on when one is reaching down trying to remove rusted-on hose clamps on a prop shaft seal....half an hour with a lower limb on either side of the 1/2"  wide lip around the edges makes one in need of a hip replacement...I give all you big guys credit for all the things you have to do where us smaller ones can easily go...(I still think of StefanD right inside his cockpit locker! - and...awesome work you've been doing on your boat, Stefan!)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Deleted.

Not a huge deal, but I appreciate the concern smile

Shannon,
The black strip around the opening is foam weather sealer found at the hardware store. It provides a good seal, but goes permanently flat in a season. I should replace it with a firmer rubber sealer, but the weather stripping is so cheap and easy to get. Since there is a gap between the top of the beam and the bottom of the lid, the bolts do not bottom out. The three bolts hold down the hatch lid very tightly against the seal. In fact, If you do them up very tight, they will cause the lid to bow down slightly leaving a small puddle of water on the hatch after a rain.
The beams only rest on the L brackets when the bolts are removed. They may fall out of place if you leaned on them while working on the motor. Just rotate them toward the center line of the boat and lift up. Once the bolts are in a place and tightened the beams are pulled up tight against the bottom of the lip around the hatch opening.