Topic: table/bunk board

Wow, this web site is a great sourse of ideas for the new Contessa owner!  My '85 model came with the original table - the one mounted on a steel post and that folds down to latch on the stbd bunk edge.  In the interest of improving sleeping arrangements for myself, and my partner when aboard, I'd like to remove this table and make a board that would serve two purposes: 1) a board to go between the quarter berths to widen out that area (we are not small, narrow people!).  2) a table when needed.  I noticed on pictures of Adrian's (formerly Adrian's) boat that he had a stowable table but the photos don't show how it's mounted.  Before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone else created such a dual purpose item, and if so, how'd ya do it?

Re: table/bunk board

The table was mounted on an aluminum post, which slid into a socket on the cabin sole. There was a similar socket in the cockpit.

When stowed, the table top went under the port side of the v-berth and the post stored in whatever location was handy.

I think it was original equipment.

Hi Seeadler,

Thanks for the photos.  I have table envy.  If you built the table top, you did a fine job; I especially like the edge trim.  I've priced out furniture grade plywood with different veneers and was shocked and appalled by the price.  My quest now is to go yard saling (yard sailing?) and come up with a coffee table or end table with a nice top that I could re-work into the board I need.  I don't want to sacrifice the original table in case I ever (gulp) sell the boat.

Your suggestion is similar to my thoughts but I need to come up with a collapsible or removable support system for the board when it is in table mode.  Is your table pole telescopic or variable in height by any chance?  It looks like it is.  Adrian suggested a removable pole - another possibility.  Yours appears to be mounted farther aft than in my factory built layout, is it?  I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense for meal time as it give better access to the galley when the table is up. Mine is inconvenient where it is.

I like the enclosure under the bottom companionway step too - an additional couple of cubic feet of storage never hurts...

Bilgret, if you find this communication - I like the sliding aspect of your table and I hope it's not patented...

The table leg is one piece of fixed length and slides up and down in the two white supports (nylon blocks). The leg extends down through the hole in the lower support. When the table is down, the bottom of the leg goes down to the floor, when it is up the bottom of the leg is at the lower support. The black knob has a nut imbedded in it and threads on to a bolt that extends to the back of the support. When the knob is turned it causes the white support to compress on the leg and hold it in place. The length of the leg allows the table to be raised so that the table is at a height that is high enough for eating and to get room for your legs under the table. The table is mounted approximately in the center (for and aft) of the bunk.

Hi Deb.The table hooks over the seat rail and a small cleat on the bottom hooks under the trim on the front opening locker.As long as the seat rail and the lower peice of trim are parallel to one another,the table can be positioned any where fore and aft.Some boats will have to have along peice of trim added to the lower berth front(parallel to the seat rail).Anybody is welcome to use the idea.It's worked great for me.Bill