Topic: building a new rudder

I found a rudderless Co26 for sale. The hull seems ok. The gundgeons are there.  Anyone know where I can get rudder specifcations. I would want the rudder to be an exact replacement. The decks feel solid. Maybe one area that could use some treatment. Other than that the boat is an abandoned wreck. Any advice/opinions/other boats for sale...

Re: building a new rudder

Someone could measure their rudder when boat is on hard?!   My boat is currently elsewhere, almost sold, so I am unable to measure or I would.    If it's cheap enough, just buy it, someone will give you rudder specs, for sure.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

3 (edited by Gadget 2006-07-22 16:01:13)

My rudder, as it so happens, is at the fiberglass repair shop having not been reinstalled on the boat yet. I'll be there next weekend. I'll try to  trace a template if you're interested? I could also ask for a quote to manufacture a copy, are you within reasonable shipping distance of Toronto?

Cheers
                                                                    John

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

Hi John,
I bought a rudderless contessa about a couple of days ago and I would be very interested in a template.
Best regards,
Ricardo

Hey Group!

Why doesn't somebody just e-mail Jeremy Rogers @ mail@jeremyrogers.co.uk who happens to be the original designer/builder of our beloved yacht.  I'm sure he's got a couple of blueprints he doesn't mind e-mailing to those who are interested.  I heard he's  a super nice guy.  He might even be nice enough to give us a PDF of the entire blueprint for the Contessa in its entirety.  Some details may have changed but the hull and I'm sure the rudder specs are pretty much the same.  Just a thought.

José

If one were to have a yard manufacture a rudder after a blueprint where would one go? Say in the Chesapeake Bay area. Or order it elsewhere?
Also, if I had to replace the chainplates?
Any idea what these things might cost?
Thanks.

7 (edited by Bill NH 2006-10-14 18:40:20)

Thanks Bill.
Laying up a rudder by myself? Wow, what a new concept.
But joking aside, what kind of tools, equipment, and materials will I need? Plus, I should cover it in fiberglass, right?
Thanks. Neko