Topic: Bimini

Anyone out there got a bimini?  I'm getting farther along and can start thinking about these items now.....  I see that it looks like Mr Toad's Wild Ride has got a retractable bimini looking thing.  How did anyone deal with either the mainsheet setup or the traveller getting in the way of the bimini?  Or vice versa.....

Re: Bimini

got one through Genco marine, but haven't installed...they are used to working with Contessas.  They dealt with the mainsheet issue, don't have a travelor, though.

I had the mainsheet re-done with my traveller, I think Stefan your traveller/blocks are original?  My bimini zipped to aft end of dodger, then aft end of bimini clipped to aft of boom, with a curved metal tube aft.  Can send you pics if you'd like!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

installed the dodger and bimini, can't fold the bimini under the boom and can't walk around it when up...aargh...is this the way it is supposed to be?  Also, frame is in one piece, to sail, you have to take it off and stash it somewhere, like on the dock is the only place it fits...will have to get back to Genco, who has built several for Contessas.  Any one else have one from them- what is your experience?

I have a bimini modeled after one that Nat at Genco described for me. First of all my mainsheet is rigged on a traveller at the aft end of the cockpit. Second sailing in South Texas without a bimini would be warmer than I would be able to cope with.  The bimini is made with one set of legs in the center of the bimini that hold up a frame around which the material is fitted.  I can't stand under the bimini and I have to duck out from under it to go to the front of the boat, but I had it made so that the legs can be extended to standing height when the boom is out of the way at anchor.  I don't have a dodger and I know that for many that is the way to go but here considering my sailing habits, getting wet is a lot less of a problem than getting fried.

Question:  if one were considering making a bimini is there any merit in placing its bases and supports outside the lifelines?  My goal would be maximum coverage of the cockpit and maximum freedom of movement when I have to leave the cockpit to go forward etc.

If there is someone out there pleased with their bimini setup perhaps they could send along a few pics. 

Thank-you!

You could have the bimini supports inboard and yet still have the top extend further outboard like the overhang of a house roof or the way supports for the roof over gas pumps are not at the roof edge but nearer the center.

How are you stowing your Bimini?  By tipping forward and laying it across the coachroof?  Or aft and resting against the backstay?

Thanks!