Topic: Genoa Lead block

I am wondering if anyone has replaced their genoa lead block or genoa track slides with snatch block and what they replaced them with.  As I am having to replace mine due to they have seen the sunrise one too many times and parts of the plastics on them are breaking off.  Any thoughts?

jklee

Re: Genoa Lead block

I will try one more time.  May I ask what type of genoa lead blocks you have on your Contessa 26?  I have found the following: Lewmar "Ocean series" size 0, Harken genoa lead car H249, and Ronstan Series 19.  Are there others and any thoughts?

jklee

I've got a set of Garhauer Low Lead Cars that I picked up on sale this spring.  Don't know how well they'll work cause I'm still working away, but I think they'll suit just fine.  Cheers!

i have a set of robust Garhauer Low Lead Cars, they work well, I have nothing to compare them too because the old stuff was junk and was tossed before i put the boat in.  The price was the selling feature for me.

just cut off 3-4 inches of the track lip and slip them on.

Thanks guy.  I ordered a pair today.  I almost messed up when I ordered over the Garhauer website as I ordered only one!  so I called them up and requested a second one so I have a matching set;-)

Yes, matching sets, one on each side, sure do help! ;-)
I had a simple block, had no idea what it was, and I never even adjusted it, as I was too busy getting the reefing down fast!!!  (ie: chicken)   I would have started to adjust it this year, but then realized, when cleaning boat, one would not move, so it was on top of list this year.  I had it initally set it for when headsail was furled to about 110, so I now realize I could have had a better sail set when the genny was all the way out to 135%, but hey, it either blows 30k here or 5k...and I am always more concerned when it is blowing 30k so just left them there for now! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me here, as my new genoa lead blocks are on my boat.  I hope to put them to use very soon for at lease a few weeks on Lake Erie.  Also, this site has helped out on other items, as I re-read past comments on different types of equipments others have on their Contessa 26.  Thanks again.

i would consider cutting ~12" and reinstalling or removing all together the teak toe cap aft of the rail so not to hack the genny tracks

way easier to refinish the caprail off the boat, no sharp edges left from the hacked genny track. 

i have garhauer low load cars as well, love em!  and the price is right at pridemarine.com

Tks for the advice!  Sounds easier to cut a little piece of wood off the end than the metal track.  My husband has got me all set up with the proper tools, the new Garhauer Low Lead Cars are on the way, so hopefully I'll be back to finally sailing this boat in a few days. 

Give me a shout if you're in town for any more courses.
Sue