Topic: Main Sheet load and placement

Not personally, but a fellow I met last Fall (without his boat) said that he had set up two main sheets -- two blocks w beckets. Yes -- he said that is a lot of line to manage, but he felt it worth it for the improvement in sail shape.

Re: Main Sheet load and placement

Even though my 74 has a traveller worked into the stern pulpit, the old attachment points for the three point mainsheet system are still where they were placed originally.  They look hell for stout to me.
My first boat was rigged that way and even though it is now considered old fashioned, I was too dumb to know better and having used it and now being able to compare to the system I now use I don't think the advantage of the single point with a traveller is all that great.  I think if you get and use a vang you'll be about as well off with the old three point on the end of the boom unless you're trying to be the fastest light air CO on the bay.

I have a solution for that one Adrian.  My local Marine store has sells stainless springs for less than two bucks each.  I fitted these on just about every block on the boat -- now the blocks stay in place when there is no load on the sheet.  No clatter, no banging, no deck damage.  Probably the cheapest and most successful modification I have made to the boat.

My mainsheet has a block on each aft quarter running to a block in the centre of the transom under the tiller then forward to a camcleat at the edge of the coming under the tiller.  The problem I have is that if I make a sudden, strong gybe the part of the sheet running to/from the boom to the quarter block bangs into the safety lines very hard.  Sometimes hard enough to pop open the shackels.  Any suggestions?

Put on a traveler.  That solves the problem plus you get better heavy air mainsail trim.

ANyone out there toyed with the idea of a cabin top traveller?  Means you can have a bimini then, and still lift the tiller up to have a party in the cockpit...  Just wondering...

If a traveller goes on the cabin top then it will make the fitting of a dodger impossible.  I believe that a dodger could be more useful than a bimini.

I'm also toying with the idea of a mid cockpit mounted traveller, removeable for partying...  Some big pins, and reinforcement of the surrounding area....  And I like biminis - sail all day and never get sunburnt.

I thought I saw something about one of the UK boats having a traveller on the pushpit. It's an idea, it would certainly clear the cockpit, but it'd also eliminate the top of the aft rail for any other use.

My only issue with the traveller as implemented on several of the boats I've seen is that there's no way to lift the tiller to clear the cockpit when in port.

As all of us know, the placement of the mainsheet at the aft of the cockpit on our Contessa 26's is less than perfect.

Has anyone got a solution other than a traveller? My father suggested replacing the aft lifeline u-bolts at the back of the cabintop with stronger units and backing plates, and attaching the mainsheet there, but I worry about ripping the top of the house off under heavy conditions. I estimate the load on the mainsheet, were it attached at that point to be around 3500 lbs in a good blow!

I'm hoping to start some dialogue about this in hopes of finding a better solution than the factory one.