Topic: Poop management

Re: Poop management

Other than price,that seems like a good idea.I have used a variation of that at my old cabin up the coast.I don't use the head on this boat at all,and especially the holding tank,yick.There allways seems to be a suitable alternative,so far,but I avoid busy anchorages and such.It always strikes me as a very Victorian contriavince,the little machine that makes nasty things go away;well ahh,until it plugs at the most inconveinent of times and You are left to wrestle with the unsavory beast in the little compartment.One of the boats I owned had a chart table,with chart stowage in the former head space and I am considering this....The other objectionablethings about holding tanks are,maintaining,,pumping andthe chemicials involved;where do they ultimely end up?So yeah I am all for a bucket where appropriate and a bucket and bag where it is not.Good idea.

Re: Poop management

Heh, heh, I too never liked to get the head dirty, so to speak!  I just use a plastic grocery bag (or two if they are flimsy) lining the bowl, and then put it inside another plastic bag before discarding it! ;-)

I was fanatic about the late Rhiannon's holding tank, I would empty it out and then rinse it out and spray Fantastik cleaner in it, etc....and no, I never had any sort of smell.

Plus, keeping the head surfaces spotless and dry really helps keep all smells out, except where it should be wet: the hose leading from bowl: which I always poured fresh water into and then deodorizer enzyme (whichever was on sale! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”