Topic: Trim tab

If anyone has a trim tab self steerer I would really like to speak with he or she. I am getting ready to tackle the windvane project. I have an autohelm vane that is sposed to be workable for an outboard rudder, but I don'thave much to go on as to how to effect the tab.

Re: Trim tab

New owner of my ex-boat won't be installing the Navik until next year.  However, July issue of PBO, the UK mag, shows David Rainsbury and his mounting ideas of his Navik, a great issue.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Well i gat a navik install on mine.
I can try to take some picture if you want.

Hi all,

I'm back for a couple of weeks.  During this brief window of contact I'd like to hear from anyone who as any more to say about trim tabs on Contessas.  Next summer I intend to goof around with refining self-steering on Virago - messing about with sheet-to-tiller arrangements etc.  However, I'd also like to explore the possibility of a trim tab steering gear.

You might have it already.There is an old book by John Letcher,called,Self Steering(for small craft),I think,even tho I have it.Anyway ,it has more information than you would ever want on the theory and construction.The Bristol channel Cutters have a design for a self steering gear,that can be home fabricated,and at least the trim tab can be addapted to this boat.It is one of the types covered in Lechers book.The book also covers sheet to tiller steering which he says was fine for 30,000 miles.