Topic: is ferryman diesel a good motor?

I am concidering a contessa with a ferryman diesel. it is 23 years old. raw water cooled. Also want to know when they started using lead ballast and the other changes?

Re: is ferryman diesel a good motor?

If the boat you are considering was produced after late 1982 and you have a hull number above 301, it probably has these refinements.  Good luck.

Any diesel can be a good diesel or a bad diesel.  All depends on how it's been maintained and treated throughout it's life.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hey underdog,

Farymann engines are reliable engines but like stefan and Shannon say, it really depends on how it was maintained.  It also depends if you're sailing on salt water or fresh water.  For the salt water effects on water jackets, see Shannon's post above but it's rarely necessary to re-power if you're sailing on fresh water unless it's been used recklessly or just worn out.  I think the engines are good for 16,000 hours + if I'm not mistaken. I have a K-30 Farymann which is 30 years old and I just had her partially re-built and she's just working flawlessly.  Like Shannon said, it will outlast the boat if maintained properly.  Watch out for bad diesel mechanics who just want to take your money for minor repairs or sell you a new engine.  They're not all bad but like in other businesses, they do exist.  Your safety zone is this forum and before you agree to any repair whatsoever, talk to your fellow Contessans who have been there before.  It can literally save you thousands, upon thousands of dollars.  Good luck  on your purchase!

José