Topic: anyone know the headroom on the post 1983 models

the articles I have found only say that the floor was lowered by lengthening the raised portion. I really need to know if it is actually higher. I need about one inch more to stand. I love the boat and have looked at many of the original versions. before I make the 900 mile trip to see this boat I am hoping to learn what the headroom is. thanks

Re: anyone know the headroom on the post 1983 models

I have an '85 JJT, I am 5'9" tall, and I can stand up comfortably only under the deck hump by the companionway.  I have room enough to stand and do up my pants, or pull on/off my rain suit.  On the other hand, the mid-ships hatch found in the later boats is a great place to make like a prairie dog.  The hatch is close enough to the galley area that I can stand while cooking if the hatch is open.  While moving about in the main salon I have to duck, but I don't have to actually bend over until I go past the galley heading forward.  That's the optimists take - ask my gentleman friend who is 6'4" what he thinks and you'd get a different opinion...

Similar feedback.  Was on an '84 last weekend.  My 5'9" wife could only stand straight in the highest point of the hmp by the campanionway.  I believe the 5'8" headroom generally quoted is true for the old at this single point.  For hull #300 plus, it seems that the additional headroom gained is just more 5'8", but deeper into the cabin, plus the additional hatch.  I am 6'2", and cannot stand straight anywhere, but can sit fully on the quarterberths.  Thinking a bubble hatch might be nice, permitting me to stick my head up and look out, without actually opening, kind of like what I imagine Moitessier did on one of his boats to sail from the inside of the cabin!

I think headroom is a problem in these boats any way you cut it.  Speaking of cutting it, I have seriously considered cutting out the cabin sole and lowering the floor enough so I can stand.  I looked at it closely this spring and found that at my height (5'6") I could lower it and have a 9" wide floor, and enough room for me to stand up from the sink back to the companionway. Nine inches doesn't sound like alot, but it would give me enough room to walk. I don't think it does anything structurally, and once I glass the sides of the quarterberths back in, everything would be the same.  My bad back would certainly appreciate it.

Dear Underdog,

You may never come back to this site to see this, but then again, you might....You might consider looking for a Continental 25.  They are a fibreglass version of a Folkboat hull (which is the boat the Contessa is patterned after) but it has a step in the coach roof that allows standing headroom.  They were build in Whitby Ont. in the '60s.  I believe the hulls were built well, but the finish inside was kind of rough (no liner, mat visible etc.)  They can be bought very cheaply as they have a dated look, but if you don't mind that you can get the benefits of a Folkboat type hull but more interior space.  I sailed one for an afternoon on Lake Simcoe a few years ago and found it behaved well.  I know where there is one for sale on a trailer in front of someone's house if you are interested.

One problem with lowering the sole is that the berths remain at the same height.The height to depth ratio is important,plus you want your feet to hit the floor.....The cockpit floor in these boats was raised early on giving the boat some not so comfortable ergos because the ratio probably changed.The shallow benches should have relatively more drop,at leasst thats what I think.Sometimes when you change one thing something unexpected changes.One huge advantage of a boat with a low deckline and coach roof is that the ports are at eye level so you have an ever changing view when anchored,not to mention that you can disembark from your dinghy without a stepladder.Why mess with almost perfection?

From what I understand, the post 1983 boats only lowered the sole by about 1", and raised the coach roof by about the same, 1", you can barely see a slight rise on coachroof around mast step.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”