1 (edited by peter.griesbauer 2006-09-18 17:51:50)

Topic: Origo Alcohol smell

Can someone please advise me how I can get rid off the pungent alcohol smell whenever I light my Origo alcohol stove. I have tried several products from various manufactures - all heralded to be totally soot and smell free. I have installed brand new wick pots - all to no avail. Regardless of product, I get a horrible smell and a sting in my eyes which forces me to escape to the cockpit for some fresh air. The technical people from Origo advised me to buy their product, which is unfortunately not available in Canada. Similarly, the Soot-free alcohol, available at West Marine cannot be shipped to Canada. Am I the exception and perhaps am I Origo -alergic? or is there a solution. If not, anyone interested in a cheap Origo 3000? Thanks for the help.

2 (edited by Virago Deb 2006-09-19 14:08:22)

Re: Origo Alcohol smell

I use methyl hydrate (a.k.a. denatured alcohol, or wood alcohol) from my local hardware store.  Burns well and I don't get a foul odour from it.  A 4 litre jug is about $11.00.  Does the stuffing under the grating look charred?  Mine looks a bit discoloured with a brownish black, but it doesn't look burnt.  I have a two burner Origo in my boat and a Heat Pal heater/cooker units in my land cabin, which I have used plenty, and I've never had a problem like the one you describe.

3 (edited by Virago Deb 2006-09-19 14:13:48)

Hi Peter,

Me again.  It occurred to me that you may have a venting problem.  Have you verified that the vent over your galley area is drawing properly and not obstructed somehow?  Have you tried leaving window or deck hatches open at least slightly to get some cross ventilation when the stove is operating?

Maybe let it burn down until the flame is small,snuff it and refill with the cheap stuff,methyl hydrate.It will take about a litre.It may have residue from the other products.Rotate the dial twice always to insure that it is off.Low fuel is the only time mine has fumed in about twelve or more years using it every day.good luck

Thank you all for your great input in regards to the question about the alcohol smell. I will certainly try your suggestions. From another source came the suggestion to add 10% water to the Methyl alcohol. This too I shall try and when all my tests are completed, I shall report the findings. Thanks again, Peter

Here I am, close to a computer but far from my boat again.  I had another notion about the light-up problem but can't test it at the moment.  Try lighting the burner on a lower setting (with a smaller aperture over the burner opening).  You may not have to have the burner control fully open to light the stove, thus you may get hit with less of a blast at the start.  When I was at Virago the last time I did light the stove and I did pay attention to the lighting of it because of this discussion and I will say that there is a smell when I light it, but it's not enough to tear my eyes and drive me from the cabin.

You just may be allergic to something in it too, Peter!   I noticed the smell, but would always have a port open when using it.  (never ran it while under way)  If you are only lighting at dock, have a port or part of hatch boards open, and see if that helps...fresh air is a surprisingly powerful thing!  ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”