Re: Pintles

Does someone have pictures of this rig.Bill

John Lee has posted a Folkboat profile in the for sale postings.These have an old style rudder that can't hang up with the full weight of the boat borne by the rudder.What can happen ,in passing over something hard,the rudder is out there all by it's ownsome and can sustain a terrible blow it is not designed for .The shoe is a huge impovement and I wonder if J.R. was'nt a bit annoyed with Taylors for leaving off that valuable bit of kit...........Anyway,the old fashioned rudder shape dosen't seem to harm the sailing performance of the folkboat,so why use a shape that can hang up,especially when the reason for hanging it there is strength and simplicity.Incidentally I have lost a rudder,but it was more comic than tragic ,when I sailed on to the beach infront of the local watering hole,much to everyones amusement,however I don't think this led to my current obsession with rudder strength,but rum drinking is an entirely different story.

28 (edited by John Lee 2007-01-23 15:10:38)

Yes, a picture would help me understand the problem, though I think I am catching on after my 2nd reading.
On the folkboat, we are talking about that small part of the keel that covers the rudder bottom? (see gallery) comparted to JJT26 design (see gallery).  There is a JR 26 design picture in the gallery (storage solution - one) that shows their design that has a pintles at the bottom of the rudder?
For JJT26 we would put a steel plate attached to the bottom of the keel by "?" that protudes out just to the end of the rudder but not touching for protection?  Unsure about the attachment of the steel plate to the keel though.  ~jklee

I was reading this old thread about the shoe on the bottom of the keel.  As I'm getting some fiberglass work done on the keel anyway I was thinking about having a shoe added.  Has anyone done this modification on their boat?  If so, are you happy with it?  Anyone have a pic of what it looks like?
Suzeh