Topic: Hatchway door

I will be needing to build a new hatchway to the cabin and wondering if anyone has had to replace theirs and what they did.  I have seen both wood (teak, oak,?) and plexiglass (smoke color).  I like to go with wood for the lower 2/3 of the hatch then have wood top with a small plexiglass or lattice for air ventilation in the middle.  This hatch will have a key locking system compared to my present yellow popular / falling apart hatch with no locking system.  Any thoughts, especially on a possible place to get one made?  Thanks, jklee

Re: Hatchway door

I replaced mine using 1/2" mahogany marine ply. It is a fairly easy job. Make sure your current one does not have too sloppy of a fit before using it as a pattern. The upper half below the hinge has a vent grill and the upper half above the hinge has a small 3"x6" smoked lexan window. If you live aboard the full plexi hatchway does not offer much privacy at night when the cabin lights are on and the morning sun can shine on the bunks. The small window allows enough visibility to see out without opening the top section. Good in rain or cold. I have a key latch from the outside and a manual latch from the inside. Do not use the hardware store plated piano hinges, but get the expensive stainless hinge.

Seeadler,  You have a picture of this.  This is kind of what I was thinking.  Thanks for the info!

I do not have photos and the boat is already on the hard for the winter, but I will try to borrow a digitial camera when I go to put the tarps on during the week.

I just winterized my boat and put the tarp on.  The boat still looks pretty even all raped up.  I have the hatchway at mt place as I covered over the hatch with plastic.  I have to wonder to Maine in November, so I will look into buying the material there as NW PA has nothing available but Black Cherry veneer!  Looking forward to the pictures.

Thank you for the pictures.  You look to have put some time into your companionway and it shows!  In measuring my companionway, I only need a 2x4 sheet of mahogany to make it.  Next I need to figure out the other parts to gather up for it.  Thanks again.  jklee

Seeadler, thinking about improving my boards as well....does your locking mechanism bolt up through the wood of the campanionway framing or into the cabin frame?

Thanks

The locking bolt is offset from the door more than 1/2" so when it goes up it does not go into the fibreglass cabin frame but completely behind it. (inboard)

I had the lexan as well as wood, and used the lexan 100% of the time.  Reason: they are super strong, let light in, and at night while inside the boat, I would put up either the inner canvas cover (velcro strips attached very tidily to inside) or the outside canvas that hung over whole hatch very nicely, just slipped small strings on corners over winches on hump.  Snaps at the bottom kept it all tight in windy weather.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”