Topic: New stove/Oven on my contessa

Re: New stove/Oven on my contessa

Getting my icebox out was a real pig.I had the big one and after finally freeing it had to cut it in two to get it out the door.Glass is new to me ,so after trying various tools the best was an angle grinder with a 5inch Walther zip wheel.I have not seen this mentioned as a repair tool but it cuts fast and straight with the least amount of dust,plus it will zip off unsupported bits that are very difficult to cut with a saw.Of course there is always some place it won't fit.There are some super cheap Chinese brands of grinder that will last a long time for occasional light duty work,making it worth while for some one doing a variety of projects on thier boat.Azip and grinder can be had for less than forty bucks.

my favourite tool in all the glasswork that i've done is a princess auto 90o die grinder.  you can use 2 and 3" cut off wheels to cut glass, a small saw blade (2") for wood and not so thick glass, and also use 3m roloc discs for grinding in those areas where you can't get the big grinder.  it also is good for finishing/feathering new glass work because you can control how much jam you're giving the tool.  that and the little sucker has been running hard for a year now with no oil (don't want oil all over where i'm glassing) and makes only small complaining bearing noise......

Are they air?

yessir.  hard to find anything electric that small so air tools is the way to go.  only problem with something like a die grinder is that you need a fair amount of air to feed it......

Even though your in Ottawa I am assuming you mean compressed air.I,m gona check those out next time I'm at the store.

Well i did it with a hand saw, and some metal blade hold with my vice-grip. I put a lot of cooking oil when i did that,
dust was mixing with the oil and helping the blade to go thru, it was doing a mess but no fiberglass dust all over !.

Bilgeret, yeahhh i know i gat the same problem. I was all happy to finish removing the icebox, and when i try to put it out of the boat, it stuck in the door. It was a pain but i really like having a real stove/oven on the boat, make the meal way better !