Topic: mast step mount bolt/hardware

the first time i had my mast stepped, i noticed that the mast mount had two bolt holes, front and back.  the deck plate had a corresponding hole for the back, but the front was an extension that covered approximately 1/3 of the front mast bolt hole.  not understanding the mounting, we used only the back bolt hole and the standing rigging to support the mast.  during my second mast stepping, an observation was made that something should go in the front bolt hole.  recently reading an old jjt spec sheet, it mentioned an 'awl gripped alloy mast.'  i do not know what this means.  my question is:  is something supposed to be inserted in the front mounting hole?  the notion of an awl implies, perhaps, something hammered in?  thanks for any help, suggestions, obervations, etc.  tom, jjt329

Re: mast step mount bolt/hardware

"Awl gripped alloy mast" is a big aluminum stick painted with a paint made by the Awl-Grip company. My mast does not have any bolts holding it to the deck, just a tenon in the bottom of the mast and a mortise in the deck. Does anything other than the bolt hold the bottom of your mast from moving side to side or front to back? Friends have Tanzers that only use one bolt at the back of the mast.

i upload 5 pictures in the technical gallery.  thank you for your help!

If anyone has the same step arrangement as in the 5 pictures I uploaded to the technical gallery, please let me know what you do with the front bolt hole.  Tks, Tom

Tom

I too have the exact same thing... just never used it... but if anyone knows... I too would like and answer... I guess I was just not that curious or observent

Thanks
jose

The same here on just one bolt on the rear of the mast. Unsure why the front bolt is not used, but then if ones shrouds failed would this extra bolt be much good?.  I was told that I should have a cotter pin bolt system for the mast, not a screwed on one because of safety and easy removal of the bolt.  Anyone using this cotter pin for the mast bolt?  jklee

Somewhat related - If anyone is selling their stock looking tabernacle mast step then I'd be interested in buying one..... CHeers

--Stef