Topic: Australian Peter Cole designed "Contessa 26"

I moved to Australia from Scotland 5 years ago, and am very familiar with the Roger's 26.  I bought a boat here described as a Contessa 26 that is clearly not (although a very nice boat).  In particular she doesn't have a long keel (more the 32 skeg configuration), totally different through cockpit rudder arrangement and conventional companionway.

I am just interested to learn the history of why my boat should have been described as a Contessa, and indeed has the characteristic moulding at the bow coachlines.  One thing that struck me at the time of purchase was the Farryman motor seemed consistant, and indeed the very genuine sellers belief in the boats heritage (she is called Rosina!)

I understand she was built in Sydney and used originally as an Australian Navy sail training vessel. 

I understand that there is only one Contessa 26 but am fascinated how my boat should have beared the same description and indeed any history the forum members may be aware of

Cheers, Jonathan

Re: Australian Peter Cole designed "Contessa 26"

Re: Australian Peter Cole designed "Contessa 26"

Jose

Thank you very much for your reply - I was so slow checking for it I think the boat you linked to must be sold!  I am very pleased with my boat, and at least I don't have to worry about her having the same name as Jeremy Rogers 'Rosina' as she is a different design.

I am really interested in introducing a 32 to Australia, so may make my quest for a real Contessa down that route!

Many thanks again for your reply

Jonathan