Topic: Solo Atlantic Circle on Seeadler – part 2 – Salem to Bermuda

Re: Solo Atlantic Circle on Seeadler – part 2 – Salem to Bermuda

Hey - great story about the refit and the trip to Bermuda, thanks for the pictures too.

Cheers.

Ivan Ross  Morava #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Solo Atlantic Circle on Seeadler – part 2 – Salem to Bermuda

Good trip for you.  I did a similar passage from Ct to Bermuda and then on to the Virgin Islands for the winter on my contessa.  I had similar conditions in the gulf stream but in the fall.  I hove-to with a back winded storm jib and tiller lashed to leeward.  Waves got big and I think higher than the mast, but a more seasoned salt said to divide what you think wave height is in half and they may be that high.  They were high though and breaking occasionaly and i could hear them coming.  It sounded like a freight train when they were rolling down on me.  It was about a 24hr experience.  The greatest thing about heaving-to in a contessa is the long deep keel, when hove-to correctly, will create a slick or low pressure system which stops the bigger waves from breaking on board.  I watched this slick for hours.  I could see it through the phosphorous glow in the water.  It was the width of the keel and would travel 1-2 waves back.  That keel is what makes her so seaworthy.  I am going again probably fall, getting the boat ready and more comfortable for this trip.  Cheers