Topic: Boarding ladder location

I'm glad you've asked. I have the same issue and have grappled with it over the non-sailing season (October to April in Nova Scotia). The best I can come up with is a mount just at the forward strut/stanchion of the pushpit and on the hull just below the rub rail. This would allow a 36 inch, non-folding ladder to swing up and hardly protude above the pushpit more than a few inches. It would put the bottom rung well into the water.

I'm concerned though about how much I'd have to re-inforce the hull at that point. A transom of course is pretty heavy duty stuff compared to the hull at topsides. I'd hate to see cracks and such like appearing half way thorugh the season. Reinforcement would have to mould to the (slight) curve of the hull right there. Perhaps three layers of  3/16 inch ply about 2 feet by one foot would bend enough to spread the load -- if there were then a suitable steel plate over the ply to stop the bolts digging in... But would they have to be glassed in?

An alternate plan would have used a 55 inch folding ladder hinged higher where the glass is thicker and doubles back on itself.

But I'm open to ideas and any opinions on the matter. I really do want something permanently mounted with a trip line hanging low enough to reach in case I fall off the boat.  wbr

Re: Boarding ladder location

I have a good quality boarding ladder on mine: Roger Myerscough installed it when he owned the boat.  It's a great one...I can send a pic of it...come to think of it, I think the picture is somewhere on the Pocketcruisers website?  Either way...I'll check out the inner hull installation and will take a pic and let you know.  It's a folding one, and I keep it up with a bungie cord I can pull off if in the water for some reason! ;-)
By the way, I remain tethered on to my boat 100% of the time, as I sail solo.  The minute I leave the dock, I clip on. (flat webbing jacklines on both sides and various padeyes throughout the boat.)  And I wear my inflatable PFD full time too, and if it gets really  hot, I will just wear my heavy duty chest harness and double tethers - overly cautious? Probably, but, in otherwords, I plan to never fall off.  That is my biggest nightmare...being in the water while she sails away...and she will sail away with your super windvane!

It doesn't look as if anyone's got anything to offer.

I'm going to go with a 36 inch, standard, non-folding ladder mounted
on the port side just ahead of the push-pit. It'll take some reinforcing of the hull, but I think I can mount it so that when swung up, the top will be level with the top of the push-pit. I'll also have to bumper it well when docking port side on. Even when "up" it'll stand proud of the hull by a few inches.

I plan to discuss this with the man (who knows everything) at the yard tomorrow.

wbr

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

Bramsay said in his post on boarding ladders that he needed the ladder to extend "well into the water." Yes, indeed. I installed a boarding ladder when I discovered I could no longer haul myself onto the deck of my Contessa from the water. I'd suggest that folks need to actually test out how deep into the water the ladder needs to extend. When I installed my stern ladder I discovered that my aging body needs to have a step about 24-30" below the water level. In my 70s, 190lbs but still in reasonably good shape, I can't physically haul my body onto the ladder if the bottom step is any higher. And the rungs of the ladder need to be flattened as full weight on a round metal step is literally painful.

That's what my ladder looks like on RHIANNON.  I find it no problem to use, and remember to climb through the pushpit rails, not over them!  Much easier!
A little sad that Co26 Mollyhawk is for sale, the older lady that sold her at time of that picture used to sail her solo and had her set up so nicely....not sure  what happened to cause her to sell...and she looks so much like my boat from the pictures...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

I too have the exact same ladder in the same location - though I do have to take off the last wooden step as it rubs against the rail quite a bit when the ladder is in use - could be just mine given how it was positioned on the stern.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

My recently purchased Contessa has a Monitor windvane and no boarding ladder.  I am going to keep the windvane for now, but need a ladder to use to board the boat at the mooring or after swimming (as soon as Lake champlain gets over 50 degrees).  Transom mount is out, and I suppose a more agile person could climb up the windvane and get in, but I need a ladder. Midships seems the obvious location, but I am not sure how to accomplish this without some major cluttering.  Suggestions appreciated.

I actually bought one of these transom ladders from Stainless Outfitters but I have been reluctant to mount the thing -- can anyone who has experience with one comment on how the support legs work?  It seems very flimsy and unstable to me (not the ladder but its connection to the boat), particularly the folding legs.

Thanks!

Christopher

Ive got a stainless outfitters ladder and the folding legs completely suck, depending on where you want to mount the ladder, adjust the legs accordingly and then have the legs welded in place....  pita to take the ladder off (something else to take off) before winter but at least the dinghy doesnt fold them inwards, again.....