Topic: Original Port Holes & Hatch Parts Supplier

Re: Original Port Holes & Hatch Parts Supplier

What is you plans, redoing them or fixing them up?  Both of my hatches leak (cabin one leaks worriest and actually ruin the panel flooring I had that I now need to replace) and I am a bit unsure what course of action to take.  Thanks for the website, another site that should be put on the home page of this forum.  ~jklee

John

Mine are fine at this time... I needed new screens and I'm glad I found them... should be good for another 20 years...
hate bugs when I'm trying to get some rest.

It's good to try and track down as many suppliers of the original stuff as possible... I found them on a 1985 sailing magazine...

José smile

4 (edited by Virago Deb 2007-02-13 17:47:40)

Don't do it!!!!  I ordered a new set of screens from Atkins and Hoyle and they were so crappy I sent them back and swallowed the shipping charges to do so.  They are nothing at all like the originals.  The new ones are just rims cut out of flat pieces of plastic with a sheet of screen glued to them.  The workmanship was terrible - you could see where whoever was cutting out the plastic parts let the saw wander, backed up, then carried on leaving a gash in the plastic.  The edges were left raw, no sanding etc. - all very amateur.  The mounting nubs are gone and what one is expected to do is to drill holes in the aluminum window casings and mount the screens with screws.   Methinks you could do better, or at least as well, on your own and save yourself a heap of money to boot.  Yes, they charged a gob of money for these laughable ( or would they be cryable?) products.  I may resort to doing a neat job with screen material and strips of velcro.

In the mean time, I sewed pyramid shaped screens (more like steep roof shaped) that drop over my open deck hatches for those buggy anchorages.  I stitched a length of light line around the bottom of them and attached clip-on weights originally made for holding down table cloths on picnic tables.  They work great and allow me stellar ventilation on hot summer nights.  A good sourse of soft, flexible screen is a dead tent.  Still puzzling out a good way to screen the companionway without making another set of hatch boards(a set with screens) that I then have to stash somewhere.

Seeadler - you know that is really neat as is the fridge you put in - you have given me lots of stuff to think about - but I think I will work on the mosquito neeting for the campionway hatch - the pics are very helpfull.

Cheers.

ivanross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

That is slick.

Seeadler, again, very cool...what are the ports/hatches in your engine compartment access panel in the cockpit floor all about?

Clever.  I think I'll copy that.  Thanks for the idea!

11 (edited by Shannon 2007-02-20 23:29:23)

Yes, good canvas is very important.....my old boat had a wealth of it, something I intend to duplicate in Artemisia.   

You could also make that zipper match other companionway covers, having canvas ones with little plastic windows/bug screen windows as well......etc.  Also, the bug screen could be sewed inside some double seam so if it does rip, just remove, replace, and re-sew.     

The Seeadler has the most skookum items on her!!!

PS: Can you say "shin barker" on that great traveller?!  I would likely break my neck on a cock pit traveller, I am that forgetful about things in the way....heh heh....how does it work for you, likely good?

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

The traveler works great, but you are right. It does get in the way. Fortunately the cockpit is small so you can not get up much speed before walking into it. When single handed it is not much of a problem, it puts the main sheet close at hand in front of you. But with several crew in the cockpit then it really starts to take up space and get in the way.

Thanks for the input Benjamin.  Nice attention to the public. 

One other consideration before ordering hatches and ports -- on my 1976, both the deck hatch and the opening portlights were Vetus products so it is interesting that for others Atkins & Hoyle were the suppliers.

Cheers!

Just a quick followup to the above post by Ben Atkins.  I got my 86 Contessa ('Northern Spy") a year and a half ago and found that both hatches were leaking and the screens were in bad shape.
A quick call to Atkins and Hoyle and the parts were in the mail. The gaskets and screens were easy to replace and I am very happy.

I must say that the quality of the materials is very high. When I look at other boats in my harbour, I see very cheap port and hatch assemblies on bigger, more expensive boats (ports that don't OPEN, arghhh.  I like fresh air!).
Makes me glad that I chose a Contessa.

Cheers everyone, only 4 weeks before launch!

Atkins, I did buy the gaskets last summer without any problems after talking with someone at the company. The gaskets worked just grand last summer. I have yet to get up to my boat yet due to my job tieing me up on the weekends. jklee