Topic: Sailing Schools

I am interested this summer in taking a course on cruising whereby you actually go out and do it for a week or two- anyone know of any good schools they might recommend - I checked the CYA website  - not that helpful.

jcfoto:  at the TO boat show you mentioned you did something similar - any recommendations?

Cheers.

ivanross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Sailing Schools

Hey Jose this is great - thanks very much for the information.  While I like to think I have some experience (reality is different) I think I will start with basic cruising and work my way up.  It sounds like your time was a really good experience.  I think I have to get some solid practical knowledge by really learning from an instructor.  And of course, getting certifed always allows one to dream of chartering a bare boat somewhere warm.

Again - many thanks for the information and for even finding a place close to Kingston.

Cheers.

ivanross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

4 (edited by Golliwobbler 2007-01-25 12:16:59)

....Just as correction above.  The U.S. equivalent to CYA is actually ASA and not AYA.

José

Just a recommendation....  It sounds like you're from Ontario (Kingston?)  I've taken a few courses from different schools.  I would definitely recommend that you stick with a course that offers certification.   Out of the five schools I've taken courses with, I have been the most pleased with Humber Power and Sailing Centre in Toronto.  I believe they offer courses travelling between Toronto and Kingston.  Suzeh.

Thanks everyone for the advice and information.  Lost of options that I have to look into.  I have to say I am intrigued to look at options that take me as far as San Francisco (always nice to do a trip while learning something) but then again I have heard good things about the Ottawa school.

I will let you know what I decide - now I just have to find the time ; -)

Cheers.

ivanross "Morava" #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266