Topic: Tiller Replacement

I just bought a new (1975) contessa, and the tiller looks like it may need to be replaced.  Where could I find a replacement tiller?  Cost?  Alternatively, has anyone made their own?? What are the dimesions, and what would suitable woods be?

Re: Tiller Replacement

Try e-mailing George, look under "Contessa Tiller" in this folder.  He just made one, so he might have an answer for you. ~jklee

Given the size and the load on the contessas tiller a hardwood is appropriate.Ash,teak and Honduras mahogany are good bets.Avoid plantation teak.The grain is not to important if you laminate it over a form.If it is solid,grain runout is a concern i.e. the grain should somewhat follow theshape of the tiller.A pattern is usefull when you are looking for a peice of wood.Teak can be difficult to laminate.Ash ,I am not sure,But oak ,another ring porous wood is hopeless.The critical dimension is the size that will fit in the rudder head,the rest can be how you like it.There are books on this kind of thing.

I made a new ash tiller for my wooden boat. We laminated it with resorcinol glue and varnished only twice in 10 years ( made a canvass cover for it).

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Resorcinal is fantastic stuff,but hard to find in Canada.It needs good fits and lots of pressure but I hear that even oak can be successfully,long term glued with it.