Topic: Shroud swivels

LaDonna & Rob

Check out our progress on 'Tess' at [url]http://contessa26.wordpress.com/[/url]

Re: Shroud swivels

Some of my original (1976) rigging looked to same.

Okay, I have the oppose problem.  When the last owner re-rigged the boat, they made lower shrouds too short.  I can barely get them to show up through the turn buckle, thus I cannot get a pin through them to keep them from loosing.  Outside of buying new ones, they are on the list of things to buy, is there a way to fix the problem temperarily?  I just finally got the boat in the water and the mast put back on. ~jklee

4 (edited by Golliwobbler 2007-09-03 15:11:58)

not sure if it is helpful, but in The Long Way by Moitessier, he described his preferred emergency method of dealing with such situations.  He had a large diameter thimble (large diameter as to not cause too much stress on the shroud) around which he turned the short shroud, back up on itself, clamped together again with three cable clamps, closest to the thimble looser then progressively tighter up the shroud.  Through the thimble he had a shackle joined to a length of chain and again joined to the turnbuckle or another shackle, with the hole tensioned as appropriate by the turnbuckle as usual.

One of the easiest most understandable and direct jury rig systems I've seen (and which I now carry proper parts for, as they are regular parts of the inventory...).  Evidently, as he was sailing around the world 1.5x, he left this jury rig on for more than one full circumnavigation...

One way to "lengthen" the shrouds is to shorten the mast. I sawed 1.5 inches off the bottom of my mast due to a crack. Removing the base casting was very difficult due to corrosion. Since my shrouds were already on the long side, I molded a new fiberglass receiver in the deck to support the foot of the mast.

The cheapest and easiest way to lengthen them if they are swaged is to add a second toggle (swivel) to them.