Topic: A Contessa?

Hi,
I, currently, own & sail Robert Clark's Favona.  She is - hands down - the best sailing boat I have ever been on.  However, she is wood & I'm starting to feel it's time to pass her on to someone younger or, at least, more prosperous.  So I've been looking at plastic boats for a year now and the Contessa is on my shortlist.  I want to be able to go to windward and not have to fight her helm.  I'm concerned about headroom.  I was reading 5'-8", but that's only under the hump.  What's her headroom when you're not under the hump?

Tell me about your Contessas.  Sell me.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: A Contessa?

As I believe Francis Hershoff  remarked,I generally sit down when I go inside.Having ports at eye level beats headroom hands down for me.

Hi Keelbolts,

I'm also 5'8" and I have to stoop a little  and then a little bit more as I move to the V berth.  The "coziness" of a Contessa interior lends itself favourably to a rough sea way as one would generally bend their knees and brace themselves solid against something or grab hold of the grab rails for support to maneuver within the cabin space. Can you imagine doing the same thing in a more open salon of a Beneteau which has almost twice the beam and a 6'+ headroom?  In any case, it's a personal perspective so I'm offering mine.  As bilgeret said, if you want to stand, go topside!

Just a question, however.  Where abouts are you?  My suggestion is to really take one out if you can and experience it for yourself.  Perhaps someone in the group is close enough to give you that experience.  Good luck with the hunt nonetheless.

Cheers,

José

Hi - another perspective here - I am 5' 10" and yep it can get a little cozy in the cabin.  However, depending on the model year you are looking at, the builders added a second hatch on the coach roof to give more ventilation and depending on the modifications, such as adding a table etc... there is a way to work comfortably inside.  My father who owned the boat before me, was 6'2" and 250 pounds - so a big guy - but he was able to sleep comfortably and function in the cabin on those rainy days with a me and my mother (though it was cramped).

On the sailing aspect, the Contessa will not be the fastest boat out there, but sailing on the Ottawa river, on a good day, Boats tend to get jammed up on the same tack due to the lack of river room and I have always noticed that I am able to point closer to the wind than many of the boats out there - that is something given my sailing skills are pretty basic.

I am taking the boat back down to Lake Ontario at Kingston, where we originally sailed her and I have always felt comfortable and safe on her even when one is caught in a storm.  Like any boat, there are draw backs, but for my money a Contessa 26 is really built for solid sailing and the living arrangements can be adjusted (even with the lack of headroom) to ensure one is comfortable.

Cheers.

ivanross “Morava” #266

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Thanks for the replies.  I'm on the southern end of the Chesapeake Bay.  I hope to find someone near to look at & sail on their boat.  I know where there's one on the hard, but I've been unable to contact the owner.  I'll keep looking. Again, thanks.
Jeff

Jeff - I have a 1985 Contessa 26 in Annapolis. It's for sale, but I'm not a super motivated seller, so if I still have her this spring/summer I'd be happy to take you for a sail. you can contact me at stevem AT sunsail DOT com.