Topic: Wind generators

Hello, I have seen pics of other contessas with wind genrerators.  Specifically Seedler.  What kind of generator is that, and how does it hold up to the environment?  Basically whats the overall opinion of wind generators, function, value, etc.  Thanks, Chris

Re: Wind generators

Do you mean wind electrical generator or wind vane steering? Seeadler does not have wind electrical generation only solar panels, but she does have wind vane steering. Indispensible for long distance sailing, single handed or crewed. Electrical autopilots have limitations that make them not as good for long distance, but good for day sailing or light conditions.

My mistake i thought i saw a pic of your boat with a wind generator.  I am powered only by solar and i want to be able to run a frig off of solar and wind.

I have a 75W solar panel and a frig-o-boat 12v frig with keel cooler. The keel cooler is very efficient and insulation is a major factor. When living aboard in port, I have enough power to run everything including the frig, jut on solar. But when at sea, the GPS and radar are on 24/7 and I do not have power for the frig. The problem with wind generators on a small boat is mounting it so that it will not interfere with the sails or chop your head off. Some models make a fair amount of noise. Wind generators are good for areas that the wind is always blowing 15+ kts. The power generated is exponental to the speed of the wind, so the power drops off very quickly as the wind does. Make sure you find out what the expected output will be for the average wind speed in your area.

Who is the maker of you solar panel?  Also what are the specs, cost, all that good stuff.  Thanks

I have a Siemens hard panel. The company is now Shell Solar and the model is SQ75. It is rated 75W max, but that is at noon in perfect conditions, so assume 60watts. Many types are available, hard or flexible, and different sizes and different technologies that have different ratings per square foot and different costs. The best for you really depends on the area you have for mounting, the power you need, if you are stepping on the panel, etc. I think I paid $700CAD for mine 5 years ago. It must be mounted so that shadows do not fall on it. A 1" wide shadow across mine will reduce the output by 30%.

Just a quick note:
Amorphous silicon solar panels, though their output is significently lower per square metre, are not so immune to the shadow problems, and are capable of charging in cloudly conditions rather than requiring direct sunshine.

Solar technology has vastly improved over the last 5 years.

Wind Generators: I found that the small Rutland (model 503?) failed to 'point' properly on a pitching CO26, very rarely charging except for when in harbour. Not ideal! I'm not sure whether it was a balance problem with the vane vs. prop, or whether it was more fundamental - that the undulation of the boat was making the mounting pole swing round in a cone thereby 'spinning up' angular momentum...
They also generatre horrid amounts of MF noise - ruining Navtex reception. And can't be stripped away to reduce windage for Storms.

My next investment will most definitely be in Solar.