Topic: depth finder

I am thinking about getting a depth finder for the boat but from what I have read, I am unsure what it takes to put one in beside putting a hole in the boat, something that makes me nervous, epecially below the water line.  Does anyone have any experience on putting one in or advise on the subject.  Thanks for any thoughts. ~jklee

Re: depth finder

it can be done without putting a hole in the hull. Look around the net for instructions on using a PVC pipe and mineral oil to install it.

3 (edited by Golliwobbler 2007-03-29 04:59:49)

One of my books...(100 things that work, or 200 easy things to improve the boat, or something) has a method of installing a depth finder WITHOUT holing the boat.  Essentially, using a proper sized PVC pipe, glued to the inside of the hull, with the depth finder mounted on it, and the cavity fully filled with stable liquid and sealed, the depth finder works fine (assuming the hull is solid and onsistent - a fair assumption on our blue water beauties).

If interested, I can find it for you...I've got one installed with a thru hull already, but if I were to redo it, I'd give this serious consideration...

Mine is just glued to the inside of the hull. Done by previous owner. I do not know if it is a special transducer. Many companies have their product owners manuals online for downloading. Check some out and see if the manufacture has anything to say.

John,

My boat came with the "in-hull" transducer set up. I have posted a pic off a web site that is similar to my set up. From what I have read, this set up may not be as accurate as thru hull. If you do not want to add a hole, seems to be the way to go. I do not believe mine is a special transducer. Some info from web sites say unless it is aluminum hull, not required.

6 (edited by John Lee 2007-03-29 17:09:56)

Thanks everyone, this is an eye opener.  Looking to upgrade this boat has been an major "J-curve" for me.  ~jklee

Okay, spoke too soon.  In looking at depth finders, most are for fishing with big display screen and what I can read on the subject talks about what size thru-hull tranducers you want.  So I found the digital (just a number) depth finder and found Uniden QT260 that stated "Adj. In-hull puck" (from Hamilton Marine) and another one from West Marine "DF1000D Hawkeye" a glued in-hull transducer.  I am guessing this is what everyone is talking about? I hope I am not too confusing here.

I installed a standard transducer in a piece of PVC cut at an angle and bonded to te inside of the hull with 5200, filled it with water and topped with a plastic cap, to keep the transducer down I just put some corks on top of the transducer and below the lid. Works like a charm. I got a combo chartplotter/GPS /Fishfinder of ebay for 200 so I can see the bottom contour as well.
It will not work on cored hulls and you cannot have any airbubbles between the transducer and the ocean below.
Good luck.

John,

The standpipe transducer installation is very common in tugs and other commercial vessels (except that it's usually a steel pipe or box instead of PVC...).  My Alberg 30 has a similar setup and it works great (thanks to the PO).  You can use any stock through-hull transducer with this setup.  It's also easier to service or replace should it fail.

If you go with the "hockey puck" transducer take the time to build a horizontal mounting surface rather than just mounting it flush with the hull.  This can be done using a wedge shaped plastic form as a mold for thickened epoxy (a waxed cottage cheese container works well and removes easily).  Cut it to fit the curve of the hull and seal around the outside of the base to prevent leakage while the epoxy sets up.  You'll get better depth results on both tacks this way.

Bill