Topic: Repowering with diesel

Can a Contessa 26 originally built to employ outboard power be fitted with an inboard diesel? How would you drill for the shaft, etc. Many thanks for your advise.

Re: Repowering with diesel

Is there a cut-out in the rudder for the prop?  The back of the hull should be the same and there does not appear to be any thing added to the structure inside for the engine. The engine mount/bed can be added easily. When I changed my diesel I removed and changed everything but the tube that held the cutlass bearing. It would be tricky to drill the hole lined up properly, but I can not think of any major issues other than the barrel of money needed.

I too have an outboard.  There is a cutaway and there's a small circle visible where the prop sharf would come out.  Maybe there's something like that on yours and it means the hole is mostly cut through?  I looked at the cost if putting in a Yanmar 1GM.  It's simply not worth it as you're looking at the engine plus $2k in other expenses.  May cheaper to wait for new electrics coming in the next few years?

4 (edited by tubatooter1940 2007-05-05 20:52:41)

I had an Arona diesel that slung oil when revved over 50%. I hung a motor mount on my stern and mounted an Evinrude 15hp outboard on it. Due to the extreme rake of a Contessa stern, a beefy motor mount with as much up and down adjustment as possible is needed. With the diesel revs at 50% and the outboard hooked up, I could motor at 71/2 knots.
When I later repowered with a Yanmar 1GM10, I left the outboard mount on my stern. I have a Nissan 3 1/2 hp outboard I hang on my pushpit for my Portabote 10 foot six inch fold-up dingy. If the unthinkable happens with the Yanmar, I can hang the Nissan on the motor mount and move the mother ship.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

After looking at the costs of a Yanmar GM10 I started checking out other engines.  I too like the idea of dual propulsion.  For this reason I fitted twin 454 cu in engines developing a total of 758 HP.  I can now do 8.3 knots. (see ya tubatooter!)  The only downside has been that the only place to sit is on top of the engines themselves.  They get hot very quickly so that I can actually only run the engines for 22 minutes before my clothing catches fire.  I considered going with asbestos shorts but have decided instead to install a remote control.  I can then run the engines and steer the boat from a safe distance...preferably the shore.

I love the smell of gasoline in the morning.  It smells like lunacy.