Topic: Tiller Pilot Pin Placement....?

Hi All,

I'm in the process of installing my new Simrad TP10 tiller pilot but I'm a bit lost about where to put the connecting pin along the tiller.  The manual states that the pin has to be 18 inches from where the tiller connects to the rudder post but when measuring it up on Tessa, it just seems a little too far aft.  I'd be interested to hear back from anybody whose had the same conundrum.  It's sailing season!!!  Have a great Victoria Day weekend to all you Canucks out there!

José

Re: Tiller Pilot Pin Placement....?

Are you sure it needs to be 18 inches from the pivot? Or possibly "no more than" 18 inches? I can't remember where mine was on Kefi, but I feel it was pretty close.

Hi Adrian,

Actually, that's the problem.  I feel that it should come forward at least another 5 inches or so.  I just need to know how it's going to affect the pilot's function to tack properly.

José

Hi Jose,

I uploaded some pictures from my pin placement, I installed the TB90 bracket from Simrad with a 90mm drop since then, at the same position. I am very impressed with the performance.

I can't figure out how to link to the pics in this message, but they are in Maintenance and Technical.

The placement is a little less then 18 if I remember correctly, from the top pivot that is.

I measured the maximum deflection of the TP and that required to make the tiller move the boat, and it worked out good at this position.
Good luck and enjoy the TP!

Peter

Mine ended up just behind the coaming and I used underhanging pinand post option.It cost as much as the pilot and was  very awkward to install on this boat.If I was doing it again I think alittle forward of the coaming would be easier and cheaper.It has plenty of throw for the slightly forward position and it would be handier to operate.Good luck.

Peter,

Thanks for the pics and advice on the positioning of the pilot pin on the tiller.  I e-mailed you regarding what kind of fasteners you used for the pedestal/post which connects the tiller pilot to the boat.  Did you reinforce the post with a wood backing below the fiberglass deck complete with a washers and a nut or did you use self tapping screws with the wood reinforcement on top of the fiberglass and directly below the post unit?  The reason I'm asking is that I've tried reaching to where the post is supposed to go as you've illustrated with your posted pics and I need another 5 inches added to my arm to comfortably install anything below the deck.  Any advise regarding this is much appreciated. 

José

p.s. Thanks also to bilgeret for he response but I'm just scratching my head on how the tiller accessory bracket and post could cost as much as the tiller pilot itself?  Just wondering......

Hi Jose, Branwyn has access hatches in the cockpit so I could reach that area.
I posted a picture with their location. They are also handy for accessing the exhaust elbow.
I bolted through the deck and will be installing a backing plate as well.
I will take some more pictures next week.
Peter

I think it was actually about 135.00 plus tax ,pretty for a pin and post I thought,however they are well made in the U.K..We used the backing plate that came with the post and with the assistance of my limber !6 year old plus plus sweating ,swearing and the sacrifice of a smmall amount of skin ,the deed was done.The under hung mount will graze the cowl vents if you have them on the back deck.