Topic: Contessa sale prices

Not a bad idea. i just saw a Contessa 26 advertised for US$5500 in MA. One with less equipment and upgrades sold in BC in July 2005 for CAN$21000. No reasoning to these prices??

Re: Contessa sale prices

There's plenty of reasoning...condition, condition, condition.  It would not be unreasonable to see a '74 at $16000 USD alongside an '86 at $9000 USD.  In general, the real range goes from $12K to 18K. Mine is about to go on the block for $16K.

Deja vu, all over again. Are you really going to sell this time? Are you not sailing enough? Is an intervention required?

If it helps anyone, I just paid 14,900 for the '78 contessa advertised
on pocketcruisers.com.  I copied the specs below.  As far as I know, If
you're not working with a broker, it's not easy to find data on closing
sale prices.    If you go by BucValue, you'll find a range of 9,500 -
13,500 for a mid-atlantic/northeast '70s boat which is clearly off.

I think that the range of 12k - 18k that Merrill specified is a useful
piece of information, and not easy to determine on your own.

1978 Contessa 26 JJT Hull # 209 - Documented. One owner. Westerbeke 10hp
2 cyl rebuilt 2003; Hood sails - Main 1996, working jib 2005, genoa.
Hood SeaFurl. Horizon Eclipse VHF; Horizon SL45 knot/log; Horizon DS45
digital depth sounder; handheld Garmin GPS 12; Head with holding tank
plus portable toilet; Seacook gimballed stove 2005; Magma barbeque 2005;
Chartkit navigation plotter; 20# CQR anchor; 13# Danforth anchor; anchor
rodes and docklines. Located Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Ready to launch.

I like to think that the Contessa holds its price (at least over the last 25 years) extemely well.  I seem to recall when my father bought the boat new in 1980, he paid $25,000, which of course inclued two jibs, one main sail and a brand new Farymann engine.  He later sold the boat without much modification ten years later in 1990 - he kept the boat and engine in good condition and added a storm jib. In 1990, he sold it for $23,000.  When I bought the boat back in 2003, I paid $14,500 for it (a recent survey had been done and the hull, decks and spars were in good shape).  Furthermore lots of "upgrades" had been added, but still orginal sails and engine.  I agree with Merrill in that the price is really based on the condition and the "upgrades" (new sails, reconditioned engine etc...)

Ivanross

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Normally, I'd be my pigheaded self and try to talk you out of it. I'd assert points such as "roller furling", (not stopping to think of picking up or tying off the bloody mooring pennant).

However, in this case, I'll refrain, (up until, of course, the need for intervention is clear and present), and thank you instead. It strikes me that you'd rather spend your energy and time nosing into impossible crannies and tapping about hulls rather than sailing.

As I think back, I can think of no time in my life that I've ever been more satisfied with life than when I was walking out of the yard, soaked with a lovely combination of sweat, blood, rust, diesel and oil, having won, (or lost!), the most recent "argument" with my boat.

The thank you part comes in when I realize that you've opted to "mess about" in a variety of boats, in a professional capacity. While it never seemed a conscious choice, more of a duty being born into the an unfortunate bloodline of sailing industry participants, I have to stop and remember how lucky I am to have been able to carve out a living working in the sailing industry. One can become jaded, so thanks for the reminder and well done - we are lucky indeed.

If an intervention does not become necessary, I recommend that you  work now to claim the status of Grand Watootoomuck of Contessa 26dom and spend future seasons claiming the obligatory courtesy sails on the vessels of the faithful. I'm sure they'll happily go forward when necessary.

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

The portlight frames were CNC machined from flatstock and then anodized.  They weren't purchased from anywhere.

Merrill, let me too know if you need intervention!  However, I can imagine the side decks with the size 12 sneaks...I am only a 5'5", 110# woman with size 6 women's feet, and the boat is perfect for me, I give all you real men out there alot of credit for all the head banging, shin cracking and contorting you must do!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

here is one out of lattitude 38:
CONTESSA 26 SLOOP. Built in 1974 by J.J. Taylor. Sails: Main, jib, storm jib, genoa. Petter 5 hp diesel. Tranny cable controls need replacement. Petaluma Marina. $4,500/obo. (209) 586-9557.

I seem to recall some discussion on the pocket cruisers board
a while back about putting together a list of sale prices/specs
for contessas.  Has such a list been compiled?  If not, any suggestions on maybe a base rate for a Contessa?

Thanks,
Marc