Topic: BIKA in USA/Canada

Hi all.
We finally arrived in Branford, Connecticut, June 20th 07.
Those who can make it are invited to Ninas talk of BIKAs travels at the Indian Neck Yacht Club in Branford, June 30th at 8:00 pm.
In the end of July we will sail to New York, stay in the wonderful city a few days, then start up the Hudson River. In Bahamas we met our first fellow CO26-sailor since the UK; Stephane on Joshua. Hope to see more of you, and compare boats!

Henrik and Nina in BIKA.

Re: BIKA in USA/Canada

Hi Bika,
im getting there i receive my part yesterday.
Heading tomorow probably, if the weather hold. I finally get that engine going, it was funny because it happen just when i start drifting, the strong current make the chain wrap around the anchor ! So if i can find a good buyer in New England for it, it will pay winter cruising wink

I may go by inside until Norfolk if the weather still blow from the north, and do the same path of you. (Im getting bored waiting here !)

Will see,
see you soon !

Stephane on Joshua

Change plan,
after trying the waterway for one day i turn back. Its too dangerous, long and the sound of the engine will kill me.
Heading offshore in a day or two the windows look pretty good.

Have fun

Stephane

Hello Henrik and Nina!

Give us a more comprehensive itinerary for the month  and perhaps we could base our boat meet around your schedule and perhaps a talk would be possible at the same time.  Perhaps a boat meet at Toronto Island could garner an even bigger crowd for the meet/talk.

Looking forward to your response and everybody else on the forum who would be interested.

José

I got an email from BIKA on Friday, that they were heading thru the canal, so we've been on the lookout since.  My matee (Tony) and I tracked BIKA down this morning (by telephone, of all things), along the Erie Canal at Lock E15 at Fort Plain.  They are motoring towards Utica, NY tonight, and we hope to meet up with them in Sylvan Beach, NY tomorrow.  Tony called a number of the Erie Canal locks asking for sightings of BIKA.  One lock tender remembered seeing them past thru, and called another lock tender as BIKA was approaching. Tony was able to speak with Nina for a few minutes, and let them know we will be waiting for their arrival.  Maybe we'll get some pixs of OverDraft II alongside BIKA!  (afterall, OverDraft is a BIKA_wannabee.)

BIKA arrived in Sylvan Beach last night, Tuesday, Aug. 14.  Nina and Henrik are thriving in their spartan vessel, and got to taste a bit of central NY home cooking.  And we got some video of BIKA motoring alongside OverDraft II on Oneida Lake, so life is good.  More details to come.

8 (edited by dkwagner 2007-08-20 06:05:22)

BIKA is still tied up at Sylvan Beach, NY (Nina and Henrik are waitng to acquire their new kitten, Erie, who is getting shots and readying for immigration to world's beyond).  We have invited the BIKA crew for a sail aboard OverDraft II this evening, so they can compare the Jeremy Rogers designs, and propose a diplomatic evaluation to which one is faster.  Hope to have some pics soon.  However, we got rained out -- a huge storm settled down the lake just as we left port, and we had to turn back.  Yet Henrik gave us some good pointers about tuning our rig and adjusting tensions.  I have a feelling BIKA is well tuned and an intelligently sailed vessel, and the Overdraft crew has a lot to learn

Hi all,
we had the great fortune of meeting Over Draft and it's people in Oneida. Now we are in Oswego, where we'll step the mast and tuck away that noisy outboard. We may stop along the south Ontario shore to avoid sailing overnight (it's been so long since last, we'll just fall asleep...), arriving in Toronto near the weekend.
Look forward to meeting all you Ontario sailors, we plan to stay in the Toronto area for a while. For the winter we'll go to NW Alberta (Bistcho Lake), and we need to fly there from Toronto. Maybe we could find winter storage for BIKA in the Toronto area, as time is running short for going to Georgian Bay? Please let us know if anyone have any suggestions (sybika#hotmail.com).
Jose, we couldn't find your email, but next weekend we'll definately be in Toronto. Is it too short time to organixe something?
See you soon, Henrik and Nina (and Erie).

if you feel like coming further east down the lake, you could winter in iroquois. iroquois marine services. they're the best winter storage yard around - handle the boats well and have good equipment.  the yards a bit messy but you can work away, and even stay on your boat while its in the yard (unlike toronto.....)  rates are definately better than toronto.

12 (edited by BIKA 2007-08-25 09:14:40)

Hi.
BIKA have just arrived in Toronto, and is anchored in the Light House Pond. We have not yet decided about winter storage of BIKA. Thanks for your advise, Stefan, we'll need to decide within a short months time.
Henrik and Nina.

By any chance will you be getting together with some of us CO26 fans?  I am from States, dock in western NY on Lake Erie.  A trip to Toronto area for me is just about 4 hours. jklee

I think that if we can get either a very informal lecture venue or just a few of us even to meet BIKA in Toronto, then that would make my very dismal summer (sailing wise) perk up just a hair.  I'll probably want to sail to Toronto from Hamilton, ON but I'm not sure about the Labour Day Weekend coming up.  How long are you staying in Toronto?  You could even contact the organizers for the Toronto Boat Show and get a lecture series started and perhaps refill your coffers for the trip ahead.  By the way my e-mail if it doesn't work through this site is:  jcfoto@mountaincable.net.  We could discuss a few options.

José

We are still anchored in the Toronto Islands, and will stay in the area until mid September (Nina) and early October (Henrik). It would be really nice to meet you all. We are currently checking where to store the boat from October till April (when we'll return to the boat from our winter cabin in Alberta), to take the Trent Severn to Lake Huron.
Whenever you can meet until mid September is fine with us, you just pick a time and place (in western Lake Ontario). Send us an email, or post something here.
Henrik and Nina.

If there's going to be a get together or presentation in the Toronto or surrounding area I'd like to attend.  I don't have a Contessa (yet... but hopefully someday...soon) but I've been following your journey on the net and it would top off my summer to meet you in person and hear a few tales.  Keep us posted.  Suzeh.

Everybody is invited to a potluck/corn roast with a following talk of BIKAs travels at the Scarborough Bluff Sailing Club in Toronto on Saturday 8th of September, from 6 o'clock in the evening and on.

Hi Henrik & Nina

I'm sorry I cannot be there... I have a wedding to go to that day... wish you were sailing west through Lake Erie and St. Clair up to the North Channel... maybe we could get together then... if not I'll keep looking into your journey and wish I were there... thanks

José

Hey, Great!  I will be travelling right past there later Saturday evening.  I'll try to pop in.  I'd love to hear your stories.  Suzeh.

Count me in.  I'll bring a camera to snap a few for the site.  Hey! I might even sail there!  We'll see how much time I have to spare.

José (the other one! ;-))