Topic: How is the setup for reefing the main

Hi Marc;

I have three reef points in my Contessa 26.  There are no cleats on the boom.  It's a cinkel boom, and the lines run from the reef points on sail down once around boom, then to aft end of boom, through the sheaves at end of boom and inside boom until they get to mast, then out bottom of boom to jam cleats (mine) or similar at that end.  I have a winch under boom side (aft side) of mast, and so far has worked fine for 1st and second reef and outhaul.  For third reef, I will rig something with the outhaul, as I don't want 50' of line hanging from sail for 3rd reef point which I won't use that frequently, but when I do, will likely not need outhaul for awhile!  I will take some pics for you if you'd like.

Re: How is the setup for reefing the main

I think I have the same setup as Shannon - but only two reef points.  However, I also wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of your set up.

Cheers.

Ivanross

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Hey Shannon!
I remember from some of our past conversations that you have a "loose-footed" mainsail.  Is that still the case?  I am wondering how I might better set up my reefing system on "Caprice" to make it cleaner and more efficient. I too would love to have a picture or two of the way you have "Rhiannon" rigged to see if I can employ some of your strategies in my set-up.  By the way, I am looking to change out my main in the near year or two and I am interested to know how you like your loose-footed main compared to one that is secured to the boom by a bolt-rope?  Would you mind sending me a photo or two of your reefing set-up when you get a chance?  Thanks...
Mark Smith
marks@kvalinc.com

Hi everyone!  Now, who did I send reef pics to?  Ivan, I can't e-mail you directly from this site, I think Adrian and the first Mark got them, shall I send to Ivan and Mark Smith?! ;-)
I like the loosefooted main, I find the sail gets flatter, but I'm a newbie sailor so what do I know!  I find it easy to reef with my simplistic system, and I have taught myself all I know about my boat, and always sail her singlehanded, so I guess everything works?! ;-]  As far at the third reef goes, I am going to rig it to work with the other reef cringles, as I dont' have room for a third line to go into the boom to the mast, so will likely make the first reef the second and rig the second reef lines to the third...so basically, the first reef will then be a good one (as will really be the second) but that will be ok for offshore, as the first reef is so minor anyways, that if it's time to reef in our boats, we may as well REEF!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi,
I bought a "project Co26".

I just had the boom repaint. I bought new blocks for the reefs but i just found that the boom don't have cleats for the blocks. Could someone tell me what is the setup for reefing the main.

And how many reefs points do you have?

If you could send me a picture, it will be well appreciate.

Thank's

Marc
adrenaline"@"vif.com (remove the " ")

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC