Topic: WINDVANES

The one you did not mention that seems to a good match for the c 26
is the wind pilot pacific light (lite?). It is of the so called superior servo pendulum design. Appears to be a smaller sailomat..  The thing I don't like about all of these designs is the requirement of lines to the tiller in the cockpit.  They are a lot less expensive than the price you mention.

I don't have any personal experience with any of these however. 
Maybe we can hear from those who have used one?

Re: WINDVANES

I have a Cape Horn that I bought 2 years ago. I steered in all conditions for 2000 miles on the Atlantic this summer. No negative remarks at all.
Mine is for sale now, either with the boat or without. It's slightly bent after land transport this summer but Yves Gelinas will fix it for me.

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Thanks for your feedback.  I had investigated all you guys mentioned.  I had liked the Pacific wind pilot...also, how did you mount the Cape Horn?!  I had liked it the most, but didn't want something offset...personal preference...
However, I did end up finding a used (but pretty well new) Navik, and am thrilled!  I will be hauling her out of the water to put it on, and then....who knows where I'll go!
Thank you all for your responses and pictures!
Shannon/RHIANNON

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

What would be everyone's pick for a windvane for their Contessa 26?  I know Monitors are proven, but seem quite big and over sized? 
I have seen the Walter Murray "build it yourself" site, and even though I have belief in my abilities, I know nature doesn't....
The Cape Horn is tidy for non-transom-hung rudder, but at least on the 26, the Cape Horn is better proportioned, it too is proved (Jean du Sud)
The Navik is being discontinued, but still avail through ScanMar, who also sell the Monitor.  Navik is cheaper, but one has to fabricate own mounting system - so might as well buy one already set up to install, in my case anyways.  Sailomat is another option...
However, a tidy trim-tab system seems the most sensible option...the Vectavane used by David Rainsbury on Piper, his Co26 seems simple and sensible, and was based on Hasler's principle.  I am leaning towards this one.
The AutoSteer by Hydravane used by D.Dunnigan (?) (review on Pocketcruisers) also seems ok.
The Hyrovane (dealer right here in VAncouver, B.C.) is horridly expensive: $6,600 Can!!!  so that will likely rule it out.

Opinions, feedback? Thank you.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

----------

For myself, I will be looking for a Navik windvane whenever I find a contessa 26 for myself.  To me it does not over shadow the stern of the boat as it it built for 30 foot or less sailboats.

The Monitor is about the only one that allows it to be mounted on the centerline of the boat. I talked with all the different manufacturers about mounting their unit on a boat with an outboard rudder. Half of them said, " no problem, we just mount it off to the side and put a longer water blade on it." The other half said, "it must be mounted in the center, otherside it will really not work well on either tack. We do not recommend our model for your boat." All of these units worked on the same principles. So were only half of them honest or just too conservative or without experience on off-center mounting. The answers are never as clear as we would like. I have 11,000nm on my Monitor and it's worked great, but yes it is big. You can try to put a positive spin on it and think of it as a large heavy symbol of offshore singlehandedness.

Thanks, I quite like the sound of the macho approach to single-handed sailing :-) with the monitor

..... and it's  generally positive feedback but do feel put off a bit by the size and weight (I've got a Rutland 503 wind generator to put up on the transom pulpit next week).... so guess I may save up for the Navik.

PS. Apologies for all the spelling mistakes and bad grammar in the original post but 3 hours spent painting in a small confined space with International Brightside paint can do wonders for the brain !

----------

ShannonRHIANNON,
Hi, have you got your Navik installed yet, if so any pictures and what do you think of it ?

I've found a Navik for sale which I'm going to look at on Sunday evening  (15 years old  - $750, 1 user complete and in good condition ?)

Any other feedback on Navik's greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

----------

Andrew....we discussed this in another post?!  (my mind is going?!)  I think we did....however, mine is not installed yet, I am too scared to drill holes!!!  It's a bit silly really, but I am measuring, etc...but not doing more, yet! ;-)   Maybe I should test some rum for the tanks, and then it won't matter where the heck the holes go!
Let me know when you start drilling and measuring....JR transom same angle as JJT?  48 degrees?  So we'll have the same, almost mounting arm length?  This should be interesting....

Chris,  Thank you very much.  I would be interested in offer.  By the way, now long or any problems did you have putting on your Cape Horn.

I too would be interested in a group buy on a Cape Horn Windvane for my boat, depending on the discount available.

Guys,

for 2 people there's a discount of 10%, for 3 15%, for 4 20%. That's considerable savings for such a precision instrument. There's a picture on Yves' site showing an Alberg 30 and a  Contessa 26 sailing downwind wing on wing WITHOUT a pole. No other windvane in the world can do that and I can testify to that as I sailed her at 7.5 knots dead downwind for 3 days.

Best,
C

19 (edited by Terrence 2006-05-11 09:36:11)

Peter Tietz of Voyager Windvanes made the North American Windpilot under licence from the company in Germany from 1984 onwards.. When the German company was forced out of the North American market for about eight years as part of a legal settlement, Peter changed the name of his company from Wind Pilot Inc., a Canadian company to Voyager Windvanes Inc. Peter then developed his own vane and seems to be continually developing and updating. It's very light, can be mounted on the centre line and based on Peter's own vane which I saw in his shop and has been mounted on his Niagara 35 for seven years, it's bulletproof. Methinks the Voyager deserves a closer look.

TG

----------

Thanks Andrew....I will take a look at that...as you all know, my windvane has not been installed yet due to bad things...however, I am still moving forward as if she is not going anywhere.....and I have not installed my Navik yet...this will be a great help...maybe if I drill some gigantic holes in the transom for the installation, no one will buy her?! ;-)

I am in the process of buying a Cape Horn windvane and wondering if anyone wanted to get one as there is a discount with2 or more buyer (Chris T. conversation with the owner - see above).  The discount is as following:
for 2 people 10% ($302 USD), for 3 15% ($453USD), for 4 20% ($$604 USD). That's considerable savings for such a precision instrument.
If interested, you can e-mail me off-line.
jklee