Topic: Main and Jib halyards outside the mast

the halyard use two rollers for each hallyard, one halyard on each side of the mast. The contessa that I have seen have a handle that can roller reef the main. I do not use this method on mine it is set up with lines to do the reefing so I don't need to go forward.

Re: Main and Jib halyards outside the mast

Great , thanks for the input, I will initially go with the 2 rollers per halyard and maybe later convert to inside the mast stuff to lead them to the cockpit. I will also leave the roller boom alone and use regular reefing. I'll post pictures when I am in the water.

Hi Peter;
My halyards are internal, and I have four, plus a topping lift, all lead aft to the cabin top.  I reef at the mast, however, and have two reefing lines that run through the boom, as well as my outhaul: so room for three lines in through boom.
Sailors used boom roller reefing for a hundred years before us...sounds like it may be nice and simple...if the key compononents don't break! ;-) Like the handle and the gooseneck rotating area?!
My mast is off right now, I have a pic of mast on boat showing rollers at bast...will take pics of mast bottom too while off boat and send to you, if you'd like!
Way to go on all the work you are doing on your boat!
Shannon

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”